Sinister: Watoo Watoo News

Michael Korchia mkorchia at xxx.fr
Fri Apr 2 11:52:24 BST 1999

Hi,
I guess this is OK with list netiquette (I read it!)
Let me announce the release of the new Watoo Watoo CDep, & a Watoo Watoo
gig... Let's start with this one.

For the ones who missed us in San Francisco last week, we're playing in
Paris, on Sunday, in 'Le Pop'in', 105 rue Amelot, near la Bastille, at 7
pm. This will be during the Queer Indie Tea, a weekly party organized by
our friends from Popingay. Pascale will sing, I'll play the bass &
guitar & Guillaume, from Gypsophile, will play the guitars.

& we've just released a new CDep! One of the songs, Back & Safe, was
written while i was listening to IYFS 5 times a day (looking at the
title initials & listening to the song, this is quite easy to guess).
This is the label blurb:

***********************************
Ever-so-slightly behind schedule...

Radio Khartoum presents the follow up to (the already out-of-print) "Un
Peu
de Moi":

"Picture of a Lost Friend" by WATOO WATOO

Six new pieces by our favorite Parisian duo, which, fortunately for all
involved, have weathered the delays beautifully.

The mini album features two jazzy songs ("The Golden Castle" and
"L'Ennui")
and a simple, sentimental instrumental ("Dans le Train") which were
originally produced for 18fps (but rejected so that we could insist on
making a Watoo Watoo CD instead); an exquisite example of what we call
"driving music" (see Jim Jarmusch's "Stranger than Paradise" for the
origin
of this phrase; see Cessna's "Continental Diner" for another musical
example of the genre), oddly enough named after a street (Alcatraz
Avenue);
a song which we will simply describe as quintessential Watoo Watoo:
quick,
upbeat and yet vaguely sad (Back and Safe); and finishes with the
hummingbird worthy (at 194 BPM) and appropriately titled "I Could Never
Run
That Fast."

Memory and separation may be the key to these songs, but if we mention
that, it's only because it's something that one doesn't notice about
Watoo
Watoo right away. The music complements the wistful lyrics with
lightness
and whimsy. If Club 8 were a bit lighter on their feet and had French
accents, perhaps... And a taste for Martin Duffy era Felt. Gorgeous
guest
performances by guitarists Didier Duclos (Christine) and Antoine Chabert
(ex-Yachines) run throughout.

This six song 3" CD may can be obtained from the finest international
pop
mailorder sources, as well as directly from Radio Khartoum for U.S. $7,
postpaid to any destination in the world. Checks or money orders should
be
in U.S. funds and payable to Alexander Bailey. Radio Khartoum also
accepts
crispy paper money from some countries (please inquire). Those sending
cash
are cautioned to be discreet as Radio Khartoum cannot be responsible for
cash lost in the mail.

Radio Khartoum
722 Alcatraz Ave.
No. 106
Oakland CA 94609
USA

mailto:xander at sirius.com
http://www.sirius.com/~xander/rk

(of course, you can also buy the CD directly from me)

__^o^__
Michael Korchia  mkorchia at club-internet.fr
Watoo Watoo Homepage : http://www.multimania.com/watoo/
Mumbly Homepage  : http://www.multimania.com/aurore/emumbly.htm