Sinister: Younger than Yesterday

Kara Baer karastar at xxx.com
Sat Apr 3 20:07:39 BST 1999

Hello Sinister!

I've decided that it is impossible to see Belle & Seb on more than one show per tour.  I attempted it in the States (DC and Philly) and as I'm now between terms, I decided that I would try to see the Gentle Waves in both Leeds and Cardiff.  After 6 hours on the train, 15 minutes on the bus, and some wandering around lost in Cardiff Bay, I come to the Cardiff Coal Exchange which has a wee sign on the door saying : "Due to circumstances beyond our control, the Gentle Waves show has been canceled."  Le sigh...
Anyway, the Leeds show was great fun.  I was the girl in the bright orange jacket sitting between some popkids I had met and Dave, who studiously ignored me all evening.  The two films screened were Les Mistons and the Red Balloon.  Two sweet french films only marred by a drunk girl in pigtails calling out "this is boring!"
Isobel seemed very very nervous.  You could barely hear her at first, although her confidece seemed to pick up at the end.  She didn't really look or talk to the audience.  The instrumentation was great, from Vibraphone to french horn. Although the songs seemed a bit amaturish at times, it was all very sweet and unaffected.  I'm very disapointed to have missed the Cardiff show.

Love Kara