Sinister: Positively tumescent

Michael Jones tourajsig2 at xxx.com
Tue Apr 6 10:26:30 BST 1999

Mornin'...

Chalk up another score on the quitegoodometer for the Gyroscopic
Weasels; I thoroughly enjoyed Sunday evening's frolic through the gay
meadow of Ms Campbell's pop mind.  I wasn't nearly coherent enough to
register which songs were my favourites and, wholly unfamiliar with
the Gut-wrenching Wallflowers' oeuvre as I am, I suspect the covers
had a head start in my affections anyway.  The other Belles present
were as nimble and light-footed as Pat Nevin in his prime, though they
gave the ball away far less often.  Special mention should be made of
Stevie's dancing fingers and Chris's swelling organ.  That's "and",
not "on".

I missed both films; we'd been banking on "Confessions of a Sauna
Attendant" - Hopkins was even wearing his Robin Askwith pants - but it
was all balloons and Truffaut.  Arse.

Mark Kolmar spoke thus:

>If Isobel's album shows any evidence that she may have visited a vocal
>coach, please let me know.  I'll settle for any new-found ability to
>project from the diaphragm.

Which only serves to remind me of an old Steve Martin joke.  Project,
though ?  Surely untrained voices can be the most affecting; I mean,
we don't want Isobel turning into Tina Turner, do we ?  Tina Charles,
perhaps.  Anyway, thesedays they've got microphones that can record a
baby otter talking in its sleep at 200 paces.  The Galloping Whelks
should sound like Blue Oyster Cult in comparison.

>If only to avoid a completely negative post, I will recommend the new
>David Sylvian album.  You will like it.  Gorgeous.

I can't (yet) concur with this; seems scant reward, song-wise, for 12
years of wading through half-arsed collaborations and interminable
axe-Fripperies.  It could be a grower, though.  The major chains seem
to have it in for fans of arty, precious, fortysomething reformed
synth-poppers though - both "Dead Bees..." and last year's Mark Hollis
long-player were viciously and unnecessarily expensive in their week
of release.  Bloody Virgin.  Back to balloons again.  Sheesh.

Mike (quite happy to go on the Simmons shag register as long as it's
Jean, circa 1950).