Sinister: Pointing it in the wrong direction

Mark Casarotto Mark at xxx.com
Tue Apr 6 17:21:13 BST 1999

Hello to Mrs Murdoch and her brood of sensitive types,

Did anyone see the documentary on the Bay City Rollers the other night? A
cautionary tale for us all...

The Guardian described the Lady Shaves as "Enjoyable" this morning,
commenting on how the backing band were as dour as "Campbell's labelmates
Belle and Sebastian" (not sic - I can't be arsed to copy it verbatim, I'm
afraid). On balance, sounds about right - a fair bit better than I thought
they'd be, but then maybe I've got far too little faith. Still can't quite
see Belle's voice as being "steely", though it's miles better than on The
Gate (small mercies, etc.).

Onto the picnic, then - certain people's lack of awareness of Sunday
licensing laws made it a shade, erm, briefer than it may have been
otherwise, but the Spread Eagle would have been disappointed if it had been
anything else. The real shame was that no-one brought a football, especially
as Shelley put in an appearance, guaranteeing the kind of welcome Ronaldo
gets in Rio if she'd ever got onto the football pitch. Next time, pleeeeze,
or I'll wobble my bottom lip at you...

I also ended up with five packets of crisps in my bag and Pringles in my
pocket. Greedy bastard.

Steady Mike, you look grrreat! in the Select piccie - and Jennifer P-B, is
that you banging the xylophone? Cheeky...I'm not quite sure how nice it is
to be part of an officially recognised phenomenon, and I wonder what the
effect on the list will be, but I did get a fair old glow of pride, so I'm
not going to think too much about whether there are any negative
implications. Except that anyone who comes up with any crap about "old fans
being better than new fans" needs a swift rap on the knuckles with one of
those heavy wooden rulers that the Duke no doubt has on his desk in
Tiverton.

No beer 'til Bowlie,
Markxxx

p.s. my spellchecker thingy has an entry for Pringles. Bless :)