Sinister: Positively tumescent

Mark Kolmar mkolmar at xxx.com
Wed Apr 7 22:49:54 BST 1999

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, Michael Jones wrote:
> Mark Kolmar spoke thus:
>
> >If Isobel's album shows any evidence that she may have visited a vocal
> >coach, please let me know.  I'll settle for any new-found ability to
> >project from the diaphragm.
>
> Which only serves to remind me of an old Steve Martin joke.  Project,
> though ?  Surely untrained voices can be the most affecting; I mean,
> we don't want Isobel turning into Tina Turner, do we ?

No, no, and surely no.  Not like Tina Turner, Pat Benatar, or even
world-renowned singer Jessye Norman.  I don't wish to suggest she ought to
sing with Bel Canto technique.  What I am suggesting, however, is the
ability to match pitch is useful, regardless of individual style.  Ability
to project one's voice in the "proper" manner permits a greater degree of
control.  That control, in turn, can mean a stronger and more affecting
performance -- even, perhaps especially, if one is singing softly.  If you
project properly, people will be able to hear you even if you are singing
softly.  Nick Drake, for example, knew how to sing. But he had an
outstanding folk voice, i.e. dry, no vibrato.  Also I would not want her
to have to cancel gigs, become hoarse, or develop nodes.  If she can play
cello (a fretless instrument), then it is clearly within her ability to
sing on pitch.

--Mark

__ Burning Rome : SENSELESS CD on Mindfield Records MindCD03 Cathartium 14
   < http://www.xnet.com/~mkolmar/BurningRome > < MP3 & RealAudio tracks >