Sinister: Go-Betweens

JPQH at xxx.com JPQH at xxx.com
Thu Apr 8 01:17:40 BST 1999

a while ago, someone (i think it was duke, but have checked the
archives and unable to confirm it) wondered whether messrs. forster
and mclennan might be playing around a bit in support of the soon
to be released go-betweens retrospective. well they are - in london
at least.  the jazz caff in london's loverly camden town has them
listed to play on 16-18 may.  interestingly (if you care about
these things, and you really should), the shows were originally
listed as "forster and mclennan", but the more recent editions of
time out have them listed as "the go-betweens".  whether this
indicates a miraculous full forster/mclennan/morrison/vickers
(latter last seen playing dapper mod bass for a bored and boring
lloyd cole in the usa some 7 or 8 yrs ago, with a transcendent but
under-appreciated forster and mclennan in support) turnout, or a
cynical vince power marketing ploy, i don't know.  i suspect the
latter, but whatever the case, i advise a strong sinister presence
for each evening.  age might be playing a cruel game with both of
the formerly handsome devils (narrowing that already slim gap
between forster/mclennan and russ abbott/grant mitchell) but they
still tingle the spine and set the heart aflutter.  happy to  play
past glories as well as recent stuff, they prove their status as
the princes of poncey pop (star pupil -our struan) with effortless
ease.  you can stuff yer smiths - there is more poetry and grace in
any two go-betweens songs ("draining the pool for you" and "cattle
and cane" picked at random by my random song selector) than the
entire morrisey/marr cannon.

well, thats my view anyway

in the meantime:

- isn't the new jim o'rourke loverly?
- whistler?!? - whats all that about then - can we really trust a
band with bits of emf in it?
- simon joyner?
- did anyone notice the minnie ripperton song ("les fleurs") in the
lead up to sunday's genteel warts gig (which my sister and her
husband and i found charming)? - charles stepney - genius or what?

see ya
kingphilip