Sinister: stupendous man saves the day!!!

John Koliopanos johnk at xxx.gr
Thu Apr 8 14:23:59 BST 1999

 Hiya Star!

> I even searched the archives cos I didn't pay attention first time round
> cheers cheers. I found out that the song was originally sun by some
> french nonce called France Gall (how come theres no woman called England
> Jones?) but it was written by the surely over-blimmingwell-hyped Serge
> Gainsbourgh person. Tell me, in the original towards the end of the
> song, does France SPIT out the "gar_CON!!!!" bit like Issy-Wissy does?
> Brilliant moment that is.

No, she doesn't actually. In my humble opinion, Isobel's version has more pathos
than France Gall's. Mind you, that does not nessecarily mean that it is better. I
really love the way France sounded like a big big girl (eeew, emilia quote
there), even though she was only a teenager. And also, in a great many songs, the
juxtaposition between high-pitched and low-key vocals. The finest example of that
being Nous Ne Sommes Pas Des Anges.  Ahhhh, she's such a wonder. Isobel too. I
think.

 John x

ps: by the way, France is not her real name. D'you want to know what that is?
Erm, well, Isabelle!