Sinister: She drinks a lager drink, she drinks a vodka drink...

Ailsa Ross ailsa at xxx.com
Mon Apr 12 12:16:30 BST 1999

And several other drinks beside, as befits a picnic for those who are "not totally normal" (cheers, Select bloke!).  Glasgow weather is officially rubbish, so after an hour of getting wet and me humiliating myself trying to jump over fences/crawl through bushes in an inappropriate skirt, we all retired off to the pub, where much fun was had by all. I spent much of the afternoon being humiliated on the pool table by Calumn (oi! minds out of the gutter please), backing bad horses in the national (though I did mention that we should have backed eventual winner Bobby Jo as that was half named after a Belle and Sebastian song - other candidates would have been Bells Life, and Fiddling the Facts in honour of our chums at the BPI), being most untwee by yelling at the telly during the rugby, listening to the Celtic v Dundee Utd game on my Walkman when people were trying to talk to me, and generally being a bit useless. Except when at the Monopoly machine which I won #4 out of, despite!
!
 the best efforts of Messrs Cook, Docherty and Shearer to tell me the wrong answers and Chris' assertion that I couldn't win any money out of it as he had won it all already.

Then it was on to the Genial Weebles.  I thought the films were immensely dull, well they were kind of amusing and cutesy, but I failed totally to find the meaning in the balloon one so I felt quite foolish and uneducated in the ways of French cinema.  The Weebles were quite good though (this was the first time I had heard them as I was up at my parents for the week and Inverness' record shop isn't very good) I liked the one that sounded like "Sitting on Top of the World" by the Carpenters, and the cowbell one.  I didn't like Stuart David's beard much though, and I wonder if someone could clarify whether Stu M's microphone was actually plugged in as he seemed to be singing backing vocals to no discernible effect. And is it just me, or is Richard turning into Angus Deayton?  Just me?  oh well :)

After the gig, Mick Cooke offered me a Crunchie. I had to refuse as my mum told me never to take sweeties off strange men, and anyone who goes rushing off to get holiday brochures for Arran is strange in my book.  He's still wearing the same shirt he had on at the Brits, you know.

I have no idea what happened next as the inconvenient timing of the gig (two days before I get my grant cheque) and my frightening quiz machine addiction meant that I had no more money for beer, and I had to go home.  But I had fun anyway and that's the main thing.  For me, anyway.

Anyone going to Salako on Saturday night?  If so, someone suggest somewhere to meet up on the message board please (and preferably not somewhere where I am going to get rained on).  Finally (and it really is the last thing I am going to say,as I have been wittering on rather a lot here to no apparent end) according to the paper Snow Patrol were in King Tuts last night? Did anyone see them and were they any good?

I mean it, I'm going now.

Ailsa xx