Sinister: Jeepster News ... (B&S releated of course!)

Katrina House a-and-r at xxx.uk
Tue Apr 13 18:08:35 BST 1999

hello,

here is the news:

***The Gentle Waves***

the album "The Green Fields of Foreverland" will be released on CD in
the U.S. on May 4th through Jeepster/Never Records and is distributed by
Proper Distribution.  we've already had a review at Spin Online, if you
want to check it out the URL is:
http://www.spin.com/noise/news/art-19990409-new1/

Isobel has asked us to let you know the following regarding the gig @
The Mitchell Theatre in Glasgow on Saturday April 10th ...
"i would like to apologise for the strange positioning of the cinema
screen at last nights concert.  the "technical" manager's interpretation
of front of stage (centre in fact) was very different from our own.
stuart and i tried everything to penetrate some district council
consciousness but failed miserably.  it was saturday afterall?  as for
lighting and bar staff, well, i suppose it's just municipal tradition."

we haven't heard any reports back from anyone with regards to the gig,
but apparently the council weren't particularly helpful in setting up
the gig.  :(  But here's the review from the London gig which is in this
weeks NME:

"Easter Sunday and we're in the church of the poison mind.  Presiding
over services is Isobel Campbell, Belle & Sebastian's blondely angelic
cellist.  Pretty much everyone in the Gentle Waves congregation is also
in B&S , which makes for a cosy atmosphere.  They trade brass and
strings, while Isobel trills softly-sung tales of woodland creatures,
starry nights and existential misery.

To illustrate the point, we are also treated to two grainy, tres French
short films by Francois Trauffaut which mediate on the way youth's
innocence is lost in the face of cruel, unimaginative reality.  This is
Campbell's muse, and although it reeks of coffee-house pretension, these
fey affections are twisted into such incredibly winning, meltingly lush
melodies that you can't help but succumb.  Rather like Belle &
Sebastian, actually.

Appropriately black of jumper and timid of demeanour, Campbell leads her
unmerry band through the delicately orchestrated lullabies that make her
Gentle Waves record such an understated treasure.  There's the slender
metronomic chant of "Hangman In The Shadow", the folky pastoralism of
"Evensong", the Carpenters sweep of "Dirty Snow For The Broken Ground".
The sombre tone is lifted only briefly by "Weatherhosw", when a bearded
man gives the vibraphone a vigorous frisking.

Sadly, Campbell's thorny nursery rhymes are too fragile to make much
impact beyond the B&S fraternity; they seem meant to be listened to once
and then sealed in rose-scented boxes.  But deep in the hearts of the
quietly glum, no doubt they will be worshipped forever. - April Long (c)
NME, April 1999."

***Belle & Sebastian***

are in rehearsals for their Bowlie and Dublin appearances, the next
release will be "Tigermilk", which contrary to other information has NOT
yet been allocated a release date, but needless to say it will be in the
summer sometime!  again, we'll let you know when we have more info blah
blah blah ...

wee Chris has another DJ'ing venture this weekend @ "The Hip-Trip" which
is at Alaska in Bath Lane, Glasgow on Sunday 18th April from about
11.00pm onwards.  it's lovely! :)

***Looper***

have just returned from a successful promo tour in Belgium + Amsterdam
where they did a session for the National Radio station VPRO.  they're
in rehearsals at the moment putting a together a "live" band for their
Bowlie appearance, so if you've got tickets it'll be a first!

quick plug for non-Jeepster band sodastream ... :)

to coincide with their Bowlie appearance, they also play the following
gigs around the country:

*friday 16th april - london, poetry cafe, headlining, onstage @ 9.30pm,
entry is £3 on the door (thanks to wicked stevie trousers!)
*saturday 17th april - glasgow, nice n' sleazy's, supporting salako,
onstage @ 10.00pm, entry is £3.50 on the door (thanks to mr stuart lee
murdoch!)
*sunday 18th april - hull, adelphi, headlining with Fonda 500 in
support, onstage approximately 9.30pm, entry is £3.00 on the door
(thanks to those rascally boys Salako!)
*wednesday 21st april - leicester, the factory, headlining with
l'augmentation in support) onstage approximately 9.30pm, entry is £3.00
on the door (thanks to the lovely Nigel @ Pickled Egg!)
*thursday 22nd april - sheffield, supporting the delgados at their
bowlie warm-up, details tbc (thanks to the Delgados!)
*saturday 24th april - camber sands, bowlie weekender indie fest
*friday 30th april - london, rough trade talbot road w11, instore
appearance, time tbc (thanks to nigel + delia @ rough trade)

plus on their way back to melbourne they're stopping off in perth and
playing south-west and perth dates from 5th - 9th may :)  check out the
bands website at http://listen.to/sodastream/

alrighty, that's it for now!  speak to you all again soon :)

cheers,
Katrina.
        jeepster recordings ltd. - mailto:a-and-r at jeepster.co.uk
 	               http://www.jeepster.co.uk/

                 ***we are moving on april 1st 1999!***
       new postal address is po box 14153, london, sw11 4xu, u.k.
                 tel: 0171 924 2324, fax: 0171 924 6161