Sinister: It'll be a heavy drive back east......

Pete Ramsdale peter.ramsdale at xxx.com
Fri Apr 16 11:24:39 BST 1999

Oh no. God in heaven help us. Someone has mentioned the
Drop Nineteens. Pete goes off on one.....

Sorry Michelle - hope that last line didn't make you think
that a no-holds-barred slagging was in the pipeline. In
fact, quite the opposite - I have only ever really listened
to one song by the Drop Nineteens, which is "Delaware".
But, totally unbeknown to you, that one song means oh so
very much. It was put on a tape for me by an ex-girlfriend
- who is still (three-and-a-half incredibly mopey years
later) the only woman I have ever loved. Well, apart from
my mum, but she doesn't really count in this context, I
guess). It's still one of the undoubted highlights of said
piece of ferric craftsmanship, and probably will remain so.
I love it: a long, laid-back, instrumental intro, followed
by an exquisite break into slightly more upbeat
tunesmanship with lyrics that, although I'm buggered if I
can understand them, are very probably quite beautiful. Oh,
yes - a band to be applauded, lauded, and, if the fancy
takes you, anything else ending in 'auded'.

Which brings me neatly to both the B&S content of this
letter (not very bloody much, as usual), and a point of
conversation that I would like to raise with the list. Is
it just me (I really shouldn't begin with that as most of
the time it simply elicits the ever-so-predictable answer
of 'yes'), or has anybody else ever encountered the
following: you've been given a tape with a certain song on
it, and then you buy the album that the song has been
lifted from. On listening to the album, you hear the tune
in question. The tune ends, and you start singing the next
song from the tape you've been given, and not the album.
Thus making, if you are in company, what is commonly known
in the business as a right tit of yourself. Oh, the amount
of times I have unwittingly disappeared down that road.
Mostly, so it happens, with 'Sleep the Clock Around', which
is followed (in my mind at least) by "Ice Hockey Hair" by
the Super Furries, and not 'Is it Wicked Not to Care' at
all. Maybe I'm just Upton Park (two stops short of Barking,
for those who don't live or work in London). At least they
rhyme, I suppose. Support, piss-taking, or a whip round to
get me committed to Colchester General Hospital mental
patients wing will be gratefully accepted.

Well, that's it for now. I'm going to retire to my rather
plush, rubber-lined bedroom.

cheerybye,

p xx.
--

 Life is full of regrets, and I've had a few, as Frank
Sinatra
 once sang, before hiccuping loudly and falling over
sideways.

 Pete Ramsdale - peter.ramsdale at wdr.com
 Phone: 0171 568 3836

related financial instruments.