Sinister: holing up in dawlish

duke of harringay editor at xxx.uk
Fri Apr 16 17:04:29 BST 1999

you may have heard that the groop we all like to call pretty much
anything BUT belle & sebastian were holed up someplace 'preparing' for
the bowlie weekendah, ... well i am here to tell you that the place they
are doing the holing is in fact Dawlish in sunny Devon. So it's a
longish way from Camber Sands, but it IS by the seaside and they do have
lots of black swans. You might think at this point that the duke has
really lost his marbles, but NO! i have the proof. admitedlly this proof
is called my eye-sight, but i insist that it never lies, and that this
morning, that's THIS morning (friday), who should i spy on Dawlish sea
front but a rather bleary eyed Struan Murdoch. I mean it kids, it really
was him, he was sitting there wearing a grubby anorak, red mane blowing
in the light sea breeze, sharing a can of superlager with his old mate,
who, if you looked at him from the right angle could easily have been
Vic Godard. i knew it wasn't Vic though cos he didn't have his mail sack
with him. i didn't speak to Struan because he had the Mad Dog Murdoch
look in his eye, and i didn't want him to know i knew his real identity,
but it was him, i swear.

i saw the gentle waves record in HMV the other day. there were loads of
them, all lined up next to some mercury rev import records. i picked one
up, looked at it and put it back again. i don't expect it to be very
good really... i listened to the 7" twice and on both times it sounded
less than perfect. actually it sounded less that crap, but that's just
me and my dreary opinions. didn't someone say somewhere it sounded like
the rosehips? well it does. and that's not a good thing. so when i was
in hmv i bought Pole 2 and the Black Star record instead. both are fine
recordings.

Honey wrote:

> <old joke
> warning> I'll be humming "My Boy LolliP!O!P!" quietly from the back
> row as an ambient Eno-esque backing to Duke's reading.  But shh!
> don't tell him.

i'll be listening out for that one boy... don't test my classroom
management skills. you have been warned. actually i think that honey
must have had a sneak preview of the ballad of the duke of harringay...
either that or i am horribly one-dimensional, transparent and
unimaginative. scary either way....

i shall bugger off and leave you all now.

keep the faith,

the duke

'what's the name they call ones like us?'
Tangents On-Line http://www.tangents.co.uk
PO Box 102, Exeter, EX2 4YL, UK
editor at tangents.co.uk