Sinister: The Sinister Midnight Lending Library

Honey honey at xxx.net
Mon Apr 19 18:50:39 BST 1999

Hello you wicked saucy little things.  Some stuff.

- The Sinister Midnight Lending Library -

Today's municipal council meeting in Sinister Town Hall (attended
by me, Splat, and a nice cup of tea) has resulted finally in
the signing of a contract to build the Sinister Midnight Lending
library, over there, beside the church and opposite the sweet shop.
Although the best time to pop in is midnight when you can't sleep,
you can go over and view the foundations now - go to:

	http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/library

There you'll find the beginnings of an idea, which you fresh-faced
listees may or may not take to: a fiction section so that any of you
budding young novelist or pornographers can have your works pinned up
somewhere central and homely for other Sinistereens.  There are
currently just two books on the shelves, and one of them is stupid,
but the good news is that there's an infinite number of copies of
each.  The un-stupid book is a short story written by our very own
Ciara, someone who's visage you are all unknowingly extremely
familiar with because she's draped in red on the cover of "If You're
Feeling", frozen forever in time where Stuart snapped her and a copy
of Kafka with his Olympus.  Ciara's story is called "Fried Scampi
>From Hell", it's REAL (well it's appeared in paper, with binding, and
people have bought it) and it's heartily recommended, especially to
anyone who likes HP sauce.

So anyway - this is a call to ANYONE else who has some original
fiction (fiction only please for now) or just a little story they're
secretly quite proud of, to stop being shy and biting your lip, but
to send it to me to pop up on the shelves.  Rules for "submissions"
on the WWW page.  If the library is popular, I might expand it into
a little Sinister township, with a recipe shop ("Richard Colburn
apple turnover") and an S&M dungeon - suggestions welcome as long
as they don't take too much maintenance.

It just seems to me that with our 1000th coming of age, and the
staggering wonderful resistance of you all into reducing this into
some humdrum indie music resource, it's time we had a go at just
creeping beyond our roots a touch and seeing if we'd like to become a
little township.  There's a lot of talk about online communities
these days and I'm not a big fan of theorising about it in public,
but we do seem to be neighbours don't we, rather than B-side
swappers, and some of you keep hopping over the fence and
disappearing into each others bedrooms.  I'm happy to report that
this is not normal music mailing list behaviour.

Anyway if no-one sends me anything I'll pretend I never suggested it
and it's all someone else's fault.  If we get a nice little stock of
paperbacks - who knows?  One day we could do a "Sinister Cuttings Vol
1" on paper for you all to read at bus-stops at small cost - but I'd
need to talk to Mr Stevie Trousers about that, who knows much more
about paper and staples and copyright than I could ever pretend to.
Your fiction doesn't have to be anything even B&S related, you just
have to be a Sinistereen, and you don't even have to be on the list:
you can be a regular WWW archive reader too.  So don't be shy, you,
think of it as somewhere to pin something up on the fridge door.
You can even ask to remain anonymous and I won't whisper a word,
although you might get a kinky pseudonym.

- 1000th listee -

Yes we have reached 4 figures - Sinister puberty?  Someone had better
dash down to the chemist for some Clearasil quick, and nip into the
offy on the way home will you and get some cans of Kestrel lager?
And yes I would bloomin' well tell you who the bloomin' 1000th listee
was if it wasn't someone called Lulu Kerr who, instead of doing any
work today, decided to watch until it reached 999 and then leap in.
The 1000th REAL listee was someone who I won't embarrass just now,
but you've been here before so you aren't a listee so you might
have been cheating as well *@hotmail.com.  But we don't mind :)

- Timmy -

Timothia Hopkins said:
> If I'd wanted to listen to a bunch of hopeless hippies
> playing arse space rock I'd  have been listening to Pink Floyd all
> these years. Or The Verve, who I saw five or six years ago and who
> played arse space rock. It was horrible. I hate rock music

Oooo handbags to the ready!  I now know what I'm getting Tim for his
birthday: "Trophies - The Lyrics Of David Sylvian (Vol III)" (yes,
really, that's volume 3).  Wrapped up in "Tales from Topographic
Oceans" wrapping paper.

Remember folks, you're quite at liberty to speak your flipping mind
as loud as you want on any topic here, but it then becomes your
responsibility to stop the resulting thread if it becomes boring :)
But this one I think I might enjoy.

Tim, do you like Camel?  Don't look at me like that I was jus askin'.

- Doctor Dick -

Right, finally.  Trojan's new 3CD box-set of Ska classics are
heartily recommended to one and all because it's only 15 quid and
really yummy - along with the spookily titled "Wrong Embryo" by The
Rulers (sorry Keith, Tag, they got there first) I'm currently
grooving to the sounds of "Doctor Dick" by Lee Perry, "Want Me Cock"
by Owen and Leon Silveras, and "One Eyed Giant" by Baba Brooks And
His Band.  It's important to say that these song titles are not weak
jokes of mine, and nor do they represent a theme, although they sure
as hell look as if they do.  It's all just blistering 60s Jamaican
ska and it'll keep you smiling all day.

Honey xxx