Sinister: more rubbish

Tim Hopkins hopkinstim at xxx.com
Tue Apr 20 17:18:59 BST 1999

Mister Steady Michael and Vicky Lurker (were you actually *in* the
Lurkers?), between them, wrote:

>>No glass bottles or alcoholic cans are permitted on the site.
>>>[hang about, I thought we could bring our own booze ?]

So did I...this presumably means that we'll have to put up with
overpriced holiday camp swill, or that I've wasted my money on a
chalet cos I'll just end up sleeping on the side of the road back
from Rye each night, drool dripping from my mouth and binding
together the sandy soil into an ungodly alcoholic mud. Maybe.

"Before the Romans came to Rye or out to Severn strode, the rolling
English drunkard made the rolling English road". Do they mean me?
Errr...dunno. Do I get a Poetry Society grant for that little
recital, Trousers?

>Sainsbury's do nice big plastic bottles of wine. That should fool
>them!

Sly...any teetotallers coming into the country who fancy bringing me
one of those lovely big dutyfree plastic botles of gin they sell at
airports?

>On a non B&S note...I'd like to buy some Momus, but I've just been to
>my local record shop and there was such a massive Momus section,
>that I got quite frightened and intimidated. Could someone lovely
>recommend a good one to start with (I've searched the archive but to
>no avail)?

Well, since you ask my opinion, I would strongly recommend none
whatsoever, seeing as he's nothing more than a clever-clever
smartarse with no ear for a tune and an unerring eye for self-
congratulation. If you want a Momus record, I'd recommend the
shortest one.

HoneyPaul, who will smack my bottom sometime soon (*please*), asked:

>Tim, do you like Camel?

A question to which there are many answers:

1. Yeah, but I prefer Capstan Full Strength
2. Only if I'm well oiled
3. Only if he's well oiled
4. You calling me a hippy?
5. Ah, you mean the King of Combat? Well yeah, but I prefer the Pup,
it's tweeer.

And so on.

I'd talk filthy reggae/ska, but it'd be naughty. Here goes. I can
heartily recommend Lee Perry's 'Roast Duck' / 'Take Back Your Duck'
pairing, more or less the entire repertoire of The Versatiles (their
'Push It In' is a stormer) and Prince Buster. I like his dirty cover
versions best - 'Big Five' (which is 'Rainy Night In Georgia') and
'Wreck A Pum Pum' (which is 'Little Drummer Boy'). All of the above
artistes also made politically conscious records which you could play
round The Duke's house without being reprimanded.
King of the whole pack, though, is a little known version of
'Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head', by Keith and the Impact
Allstars, which is too rude for words, and certainly too rude to be
discussed in this forum. Come to think of it, that particular record
may stray from the rude into the downright disgusting. Hm.

'Dr. Dick' is also a copper-bottomed classic, too.

Let me feel it now

[tim]