Sinister: in the mud on yr knees.

Marie Elia eliam at xxx.edu
Wed Apr 21 02:58:16 BST 1999

hey, kids --

seems like i'm always telling you things that i've read in very bad music
publications, but i thought you might be up for some reading to stave off
bowlie antici........pation!

so, included in Rolling Stones top albums of the 1990's is IYFS.  this is
what they got to say:
Belle and Sebastian
If You're Feeling Sinister

This instrument-switching Scottish outfit represented the ultimate triumph
of twee, that British subgenre that applies rock-style hipness and amateurish
fervor to unrock interests such as coffeehouse folk, French 1960's pop and
the works of Burt Bacharach.  Casually led by real-life choirboy and Smiths
admirer Stuart Murdoch, Belle and Sebastian attached cello, trumpet and
strings to a skiffle beat and melodies devised after hours of lonely
listening to vintage Top Forty radio.  Not since Nick Drake had so quiet a
band spoken so loudly.
now we not only have a definition of tw**, we also have the perfect formula
for songwriting!  ah, well... it is still both exciting and disheartening to
see B&S in shit mags like RS, but probably no one noticed anyway.

ah, yes, my subject line:  today i was finishing a cigarette with kimmy
outside the post office, and i turned to leave, not realizing i was perched
at the edge of the big concrete steps.  i took a flying leap, trying to avoid
the concrete, which i did, only to land on my hands and knees in the mud,
thereby ruining my jeans and making for an embarassing situation.  why share
this?  well, the first thing that came to my mind was the line from "lazy
line"...

oh, and if students can smuggle orangejuice&vodka into class in Sunny
Delight bottles, surely you clever, sinister people can smuggle some alcohol
into bowlie!  take care, and take pictures!

xoxo,
marie