Sinister: a nervous boy writes.....

Paul McAllister aemcallister at xxx.uk
Sun Apr 25 17:41:39 BST 1999

hello there, fellow sinisterettes and esses (correct terminology?).  Well,
this being my first posting, I am am a wee bit apprehensive but have just
about overcome my nervousness.  I shouldn't be nervous really.  Most of you
are at Bowlie anyway.
I really have fallen in love with the world of b&s over the last four months
or so.  I had thought being a relative newcomer would result in perhaps
being shunned in some way, but you all seem such a friendly lot I don't mind
admitting I hadn't heard anything by the band until January.  The first song
I heard was It Could Have Been a Brilliant Career.  It was on a long coach
journey to Suffolk for some geography fieldwork and I'd borrowed TBWTAS off
a friend. ICHBABC took me by surprise - it was nothing like I expected (i
had some preconcieved view, can't recall what) but I absolutely loved it.  I
listened to the rest of the album in somewhat of a trance.  When I got to
the end, I sat in silence for a few minutes pondering what I'd heard.  The
last album that had such a profound effect on me with the first listening
listening had been The Stone Roses.  I knew I'd just heard something very
special so immediately began the album again and sat for an another hour in
my own little world.
Over the weekend that followed (which consisted of a series of very very
boring (and freezing cold) fieldwork experiments) I found every possbile
opportunity to sneak back to my room and listen to a bit more of the album.
By the time I got home I was completely hooked.  I went straight out and
bought TBWTAS and got sinister at the same time.  Sinister didnt have
*quite* the same effect on the first listening but has since grown on me
immensely and now I couldn't choose between the two.  Over the month
following my fieldtrip, I got hold of the four EPs and began a desperate
search for Tigermilk.  I found out pretty quickly that it was going to be
very hard (or rather expensive, being a student) to get hold of.  I have now
got a copy but only on tape, I'm afraid.
Well, four months on, and if anything I love the band even more.  They've
even taken the place of the Stone Roses as the most played band on my stereo
(actually with the exception of Mogwai and Godspeed You Black Emporer,
they're virtually the only band on my stereo).
Well, I've rambled on enough for my first posting so I'll leave you in
peace.  Bowlie should be in full swing now.  What I'd give to be
there.......
cheers
-paul-

PS if there are any other people on the list from Milton Keynes then I'd
love to hear from you.  This town really bores me.