Sinister: Bowlie: Bloody Amazing

David Moore Daf_Moore at xxx.com
Mon Apr 26 03:22:14 BST 1999

Hi fragrant Sinistereens (& you sweaty, smoky, beer-soaked ones as well)

Tales From the Front Line:

Others will talk more eloquently & intelligently about the phenomenon that
was The Bowlie. These are just some snapshots before the daylight of
advancing years erases the emulsion of my memory (In The Canyons Of My
Mind)

Having gone to Camber to see Belle & Sebastian play we resolved to actually
see them. Therefore we started by queuing outside the doors of Stage 1 at
about twenty to four. Having been admitted, we sauntered to the barrier
where we remained for the next 6 hours until they stepped on stage(Thanks
go to kind neighbour on the left who swelled to twice his normal size to
keep my place whilst I dashed off after Broadcast to empty my bladder which
had swelled.......well, I guess you get the idea. The guys on either side
of me changed three times whilst I was there!) Cornelius were entertaining,
Ladybug Transistor were pretty (& had cool guitar straps), Broadcast were
pretty entertaining (I love Come on Lets Go & The Booklovers, and the new
stuff sounded great also), Mercury Rev were amazingly good (I had expected
them to be pretty weedy, like that album) and then there was Belle &
Sebastian.

Honey has a copy of the setlist, and can put it on the Sinisterweb. Bits I
liked: Everything!, and Stuart doing a little Steps dance during The Wrong
Girl (Stevie sings "true love" & SM holds his hands over his heart/Stevie
sings "looking" and SM shades his eyes to scan the horizon). Stuart had to
have the words to If You're Feeling Sinister in front of him (but still
fluffed them at one point) but his face broke into a smile and confidence
grew when the audience joined him on the chorus. Sarah had an enormous grin
on her face the whole time. Monica Queen: how can so much vocal power come
out of one so small? Stuart playing sax, as well as trumpet. (Sinister smut
injection: he couldn't finger his horn properly until he'd wet the tip
sufficently. Come to that, earlier it took 4 guys to lift Chris' organ on
stage.)  The whole band rocking out on The Kids Are Alright, with Chris
playing bass and singing so loud the veins stood out on his neck (Mick sang
really well also). The sound was crystal clear (merci beaucoup a
l'ingenieur du son extraordinaire, et pardonnez moi, votre nom m'echappe au
moment). It was great, one of the best gigs I've been to and thanks to all
concerned.

Please show the video on Channel 4 not MTV, because I don't have cable or
satellite (& neither does Katrina!)

Love to All, & I hope all those at Camber Sands can get home in an hour and
a quarter too!

DM,C,UK - (Hi Chris!)