Sinister: We're twee and we know we are

Ailsa Ross ar981611 at xxx.uk
Tue Apr 27 19:38:32 BST 1999

I had said to Trousers that at some point I was going to report on the
football, well I can't really be bothered, but the boys done good, gave
110%, blah blah, Camera Obscura, blah blah, too many goalkeepers, blah
blah, big war on the noticeboard, comedy own goal, penalty save, you can
compose your own review from these salient points.  Random quotes "with
Jim, Trousers and Alasdair we had the backbone of a really good team". I
think Rory said that but I can't remember. "Alasdair Cook is the Ginola
of Sinister" (a random strager Alasdair met when he was pissed - though
I think he may have made it up himself). Oh and big thanks to Fluffy
Sarah and FunkySeb for saving me having to think up any chants for the
football by doing it all themselves :)  All together "Ooh ahh
Sinist-ah!" "One team in Camber" etc etc (er, that's it actually, unless
you count me and Sarah singing "Sinister" to the tune of "Tragedy"
whilst doing bad Steps routines, which quite frankly, I wouldn't).  And
"We're twee and we know we are " which even raised a smile from
LegsofSex himself who nearly supported our boys (but didn't).

Did anyone else arrive by car via Rodney, sorry Romney, Marsh and
therefore nearly destroy their car when coming round a corner and being
confronted by an enormous plastic gorilla in a field?  The look on
Kevan's face was a sight indeed to behold, so much so that we went back
to see it again on the way home, and Alix got scared by it all over
again.  Somebody had written "Do Not" on it, what we weren't to do we
weren't sure.  The beach had a sign on it warning you not to dig big
holes or you'd get buried alive.  I was also shocked to discover the
little town of Lydd just along the road had an airport, we should
charter a flight for the next one.  It is going to happen isn't it?!?!
We should have these things all the time, but to keep costs down we
could dispense with bands as I kept forgetting to leave the pub/my
chalet/the beach thereby missing almost every band I wanted to see.
They should put the go-karts on next time too, although we did drive our
cars in little circles round the car park to make up for it.

The transglobal Sinister picnic on Sunday afternoon was great, despite
the fact that FunkySeb whose idea it was in the first place didn't
manage to find us (though how he didn't hear Mark C's yelps of pain as
Alasdair tried to simultaneously amputate both his legs during the
football is anyone's guess).  I think over the course of the weekend I
must have met at least 50 or 60 Sinisterians, and you were all lovely.
Big thanks to the lovely carsmile Steve for giving me a badge which said
"Lost the Plot" in case anyone was in any doubt as to the state that I
was in (ahem), and I'm not *really* coming to gatecrash your wedding
Steve, promise :)  He was also one of only two people who spoke to me
after seeing my upside down badge.  The other was Trousers, whose joint
efforts with Fluffy at drawing everybody in the pub were fantastic and
should be going on the website soon (Fluffy? They are, aren't they?)
The only thing I did of note in the pub was be scared of Amelia
Fletcher. And fall asleep a lot.

I'm still wearing my wristband too, along with a rather dazed grin.  My
photos are all quite crap, though I did just realise after looking at
the photos that the drummer of the impromptu megaphone gig was my next
door neighbour from when I lived in Glasgow, I was too busy obsessing on
Mick Cooke/Stuey's arms of sex to notice at the time :)  I completely
missed the fact that people were getting their cameras taken off them, I
can't believe no-one saw mine as I was perched on someone's shoulders
taking photos for at least ten seconds until I fell off again.
Unfortunately the band were all at the back of the stage at the time, so
I suffered multiple bruises and ripped Rory's shirt for nothing.  Oops!

I've just noticed that Alix has said I was going to tell you lots of
things off the list of things that we thought were ace about the
weekend.  In hindsight they were all shit.  Well not shit, just of
little consequence to anyone.  Though waking up at three in the morning
to find Nick Dastoor lurking on your balcony is not a thing I think we
care to remember.  Or being accosted by Swedish people looking for drugs
(that's wanting to buy them, not randomly drug searching us).  Though we
did have security guards swarming round, perhaps they had had complaints
that none of us could remember the words to tiggerjammies when we were
pissed or that Mark's flauting was too twee or something.

Anyway, it was all rather jolly and I think I may have lots of list
crushes now, though that could be the drink blurring my perception and
judgment.  I don't think so though :)

Counting the days till the next one...Can we all do this again quite
soon please?  And does anyone who lives in or around Glasgow know
anything about this year's Longest Day festival, is it happening, who's
playing etc etc?  As I seem to have invited an unfeasible amount of
people (well about six, but I only have a small house) up for the
weekend so it would be nice if we actually had something to do.

Still embarrassed about losing a game of French cricket to a King
Charles spaniel,

Ailsa xx