Sinister: bowlie set list

Lance Bangs stray4f at xxx.net
Wed Apr 28 17:37:35 BST 1999

    Bowlie was truly wonderfull, with most of the bands performing the best
shows I have seen from them, rising to the occasion.  Belle and Sebastian
played a relatively long set, and I don't think I've seen anyone on Sinister
post the set list yet.  Based on my recollection it went something like

Slow Graffitti
Seeing Other People
dog on wheels
century of fakers
the wrong girl
i know where the summer goes
 (whos that girl?) a stuart david song I didn't recognize
simple things
if yr feeling sinister
Paper Boats
the boy with the Arab Strap
Photo Jenny
A new upbeat Isabelle song, very Motown sounding
Lazy line Painter Jane
The Kids Are Allright

Other highlights?  Mogwai covering Joy Division, the stunning set by the
Flaming Lips, the hush that fell over the small crowd downstairs as Dean
Wareham played Galaxie 500's "blue thunder" and proceeded to cover Beat
Happenings "Indian Summer" and Johnathan Richman's "Don't Let our youth go
to waste" as people wept while smiling...
just seeing all of the kids milling about, talking, getting into trouble....
The crowd was great, and very receptive to everything.  I was worried that
people wouldn't neccesarily get into Sleater-Kinney since they are much more
of a rock band than most of the acts, but people were freaking out and
dancing and screaming between their songs, which inspired them to play a
particularly good show.
Jarvis's DJing was peculiar, with awkwardly segued songs like "Funky Cold
Medina" and "Can't Touch This." I kid you not.  It was fun though, and
seeing the floor filled with fans, most of Stereolab, Elliott Smith, and
Sleater-Kinney all madly dancing as he spun "White Lines" was a blast.
Salako's late night chalet acoustic shows were fun, with various people
(cornelius, stuart david) taking turns playing backed by them....
David and Katrina worked tirelessly at the merchandise table, and yet always
seemed to be happy to meet people and enjoy all of the mayhem around them.
Cheers.
The whole thing was such a blast, and Neil and Stuart and everyone that put
it together should be very pleased with what an amazing event they managed
to pull off.....