Sinister: Violence mars Dublin gig

Martin Connelly eppie at xxx.ie
Thu Apr 29 02:03:07 BST 1999

Yes, Mr Murdoch must have learned a thing or two about expressing his
emotions from Bowlie security.  In Dublin a few hours ago, I almost choked
on the biscuit I was nibbling as he smashed a guitar, threw it away, then
sulked in the corner and Isobel left before the gig ended.  My wife, who
gave up on Oasis because of the rows and turned to the gentle warbling of Mr
Murdoch, is now extracting hundred of splinters.  If B&S remain functioning
as a band, I imagine these can be encased in amber and sold for something
like £16, which is what the tshirts cost.  But can I even wear the t-shirt I
bought, or will it be taken as a sign that I'm on for a bit of bovver?  Oh
well, back to the Field Mice compilation.

Anyway, the set list:

-  The first few bars from "Whiskey in the Jar" in the tranquil Struan mode
with just piano accompaniment (which, he surmised, probably surprised us and
and the band, even to the extent that it might cause them involuntary bowel
movements)
-  Slow graffiti
- Seeing other people (IYFS version)
- The State that I am in
- Wrong girl
- I know where the summer goes
- New song from Isobel which might be called I married a fool and also had
references to cages
-  Who's that girl (Stuart D)
- I don't love anyone
- Paper boat
- Dog on wheels
- Seymour Stein
- Simple things
- Photo Jenny (I got the impression that Isobel was to do a song at that
point, but backed out.  And Struan's mike stand fell or he pushed it over
and then the strenuous guitar remodelling took place.  Keith and Mr Miller,
used to the Who, would have loved it.)  But after a bit, Struan seemed to be
prevailed on to do
- The Boy with the Arab Strap

- If you're feeling sinister was done as well (a few lines forgotten  and
I've forgotten where it featured; probably close to Paper Boat)

But it was a great gig.  Struan managed to stand on one leg, while shaking
the other,  for minutes at a time and sounded great and all those marvellous
musical hooks sounded really fresh.

And it made a change from the tranquility of the recent Mogwai gig in the
same venue (although the crowd at that was much smaller).

Now, to see if I can sleep after all that excitement and decide whether it
would be safer to start wearing that Help the Aged tshirt again.

Martin C