Sinister: Ignoramomus, and the end of The Verve

Tim Hopkins hopkinstim at xxx.com
Thu Apr 29 13:12:31 BST 1999

I have a dream this morning.

My dream is that every time there is a Bowlie, another dreadful
overblown alt.rock group realises the truth and splits up forever. It
certainly worked with the (un)lamentable Verve. I wonder who's next?

Now then, back on the subject of Momus... (sorry it's been a while,
but I've been, uh, otherwise engaged)

Pulpbot wrote:

>You friggin James Taylors,

Now, that'll be rhyming slang for something, I assume, but I can't
figure out what. Norman Mailers? Hay balers? Salty sailors?

>I found his sub-
>cabaret wurblings hard to fathom at first, and perhaps a good melody
>isn't always atop his to-do list, but as I once told someone else on
>this list, Momus' verbal jousts are a bit meatier than, say, Nick
>Drake references.

Oh, I agree with you that Momus is certainly 'meatier' (is that a
recommendation?) than old Drakey, but then again, that's only like
saying you prefer solid turds to runny ones. I always thought Nick
Drake was a mewling ninny, and I still do.

I must say that it is *enormously* important to me that the music I
listen to is 'meaty'. What sort of meat is Momus like? Veal? Old
mutton? Rancid pork?

Glad that you've learned to understand Momus, though, cos the more
records of his other people buy, the less I have to flick past.

Momus's clever-clever 'verbal jousts' are masturbation every bit as
damnable as the fret-wankery of a Steve Vai. Momus, as an artist,
could find no use for Keith and Chris's machine.

What I don't understand is that I've never heard anyone defend Momus
on musical grounds: people (in my limited experience) tend to accept
that his music's second-rate but insist that his lyrics are The
Business. Which always makes me think 'buy a book and get on with
listening to some decent music'. Perhaps I'm missing the point.

>I find it hard to imagine that Stuart Murdoch hasn't been influenced
>by Momus.

Oh. Sorry, I was wrong. If *Stuart*  likes Momus, then Momus must be
fabulous. Forgive me for my folly... My guess is that most members of
B&S have been influenced by music that I wouldn't want to touch with
someone else's very long, spectacularly shitty bargepole.

I've never seen a bargepole. Are they very, very long?

>Shades of the birth of Athena, yes?

I wouldn't know about that, but my mate's big sister used to have a
picture of an airbrushed lady in shades. The picture was bought from
Athena. The branch in Exeter High Street. The lady had rainbow
eyeshadow and was sucking Coca Cola through a straw. Is that the sort
of thing you mean?

Incidentally, I don't think that what I'm saying about Momus (or
Lickle Nicky Drakey) is *true* in any sense outside the fact
that I think it. I'm certainly not trying to suggest that there's
anything wrong with liking or disliking anything at all. I know that
some of the people reading this love some (maybe all) of the artistes
I've mentioned, and I really hope that me expressing my dislike of
them doesn't offend you. I'm not sure why it would, but I understand
that it might.

The trouble is, it's such fun to talk about it.

If I were being truthful and balanced, I'd tell you that I haven't
heard a Momus record in several years, having been subjected to many
in the years before I became rude enough to say 'take that shite
off'. Maybe he's got better.

But it's probably more fun just to slag him off.

love and peace, maaaan,

Tim