Sinister: A post-bowlie coach story

Robin Stout Ppyrrjs at xxx.uk
Thu Apr 29 18:24:36 BST 1999

Hi de hi campers!

	There I was, sitting on the coach with Arantxa, about half
an hour from home, wondering what I was going to take my last photo
of when everything started to go a bit misty. First of all I figured
my brain was just a bit addled after all the booze I drank on
Saturday, or that maybe, after B&S on Sunday, I'd decided that my
life was complete and the mists of the afterlife had descended to
carry me off to Narnia. Unfortunately life's never quite so
melodramatic is it? Anyway, other people noticed the smoke ( for aye,
'twas smoke ) and told the driver and we all ended up huddled
together on the hard shoulder like a flock of shorn sheep in a
snowstorm. It turned out that a drunk old Scottish man had been
sitting in the toilet, smoking and singing, and must have set fire to
the toilet seat, or his pants, or his polyester moustache,
or something. But just in case it was anything slightly more serious
like the engine being about to explode we had to wait around
for another coach for half an hour. Grrrr...
	So the coach came, and our driver drove off in the first,
smoke-filled coach like Biggles, valiantly landing a burning plane.
We arrived back eventually, after about ten hours travelling, to the
drunken, drunken singing of that drunken man and Stuart's
perfomance the day before seemed a long time ago.
	Anyway - the Bowlie was ace, wasn't it? It's a bit of a culture
shock coming back to a place where people aren't so friendly and
sweet, and you don't bump into famous people in the street. The
loveliest people of them all were the Sinister folk of course -
Alisdair the footballing superstar, Kevan, Ailsa, Mark, Vicky, some
bloke in a hat, Matthew, Fluffy Sarah who I kept bumping into when I
was lost and confused, and lots of other people who were pointed out
to me and I expect I just leered at hopelessly.
	Cornelius were a pleasant surprise, Mercury Rev were a bit
disappointing, but Belle and Sebastian were astonishing, I really
didn't think their sound would come across so well. I loved Winter
Whatsit by the way. Stuart D is de man.
	Then there were the red sheep and Vegas amusements and Stuart's hat
and that funny bluecoat and a strange party we ended up at and lots
of other memories that haven't quite sorted themselves out yet. I
think it's time to go back to bed.

	Next Bowlie, Saturday, my place, bring your own pop.

	Robin xxxxxx