Sinister: This wasn't just ANY modern rock song....

Declan and Noren Hynes hynesdj at xxx.ie
Thu Apr 29 22:02:20 BST 1999

i never post to the list, i could fall under the catagory of "lurker" if i
had the time to lurk. but i feel compelled to post.
  i saw belle and sebastian last night after about 3 years of
anticipation..... it was possibly the most surreal gig i've ever been
to.... snow patrol were nice 'n noisy and i was told i look like isobel
which obviously i was well chuffed at....
 but then...
  first of all it's crude to say so, and i didn't notice until a friend
pointed it out to me, but stuart was "flying low". i fell so embarassed for
the boy, 'cos once i'd copped on to it i realised that everyone else knew.
people were whispering "someone should tell the bloke"... but nobody could
bring themselves to do it. i just put such earthly things out of my mind
and continued to enjoy the heady heights of sonic pleasure. that is until
some loud types decided to inform stuart of the situation. "stuart, yer
flying low" was bellowed much to everyones relief/embarassment.
but the kid didn't seem to understand and continued with the set, looking
bored during songs and fluffing his words.
  then he kicked over the microphone stand oddly enough.... but that wasn't
it for stuarts outbursts... at the end of the second last song he smashed
his guitar and kicked some amps about, much to about half the crowd's
pleasure. the other half, myself included were a bit shocked. i'm not sure
whether it was before this display of rock n' roll excess or not but isobel
sort of stormed off the stage grabbing her jacket.
   stuart said "sorry" and played the last song. then they all rambled off
disjointly.
the crowd couldn't believe it was over and we stayed clapping for another
half an hour, mercury rev stayed up in their side stage box aswell, we all
expected more. nobody believed it was over, not even when they gave out the
setlist. we were all waiting for more. more of what though?
the boys and girls onstage looked bored and unhappy. the music was
wonderful, but the onstage atmosphere left alot to be desired.
  i'd like to know what was going on, but at the same time i wouldn't. from
the first notes of "slow graffiti" i forgot everything else in my life and
enjoyed the music for what it was.... beautiful.