Sinister: Dublin Guitar Tomfoolery/Virginal Post/Other Assorted Shananigan

damien muddled at xxx.com
Thu Apr 29 23:40:37 BST 1999

Hello Sinister!

Seeing as this is my first ever post I feel I should begin by giving
a big welcoming wave to everyone here, 'specially the irish listees.

Last night here in Dublin was also the scene of another one of my
virginous losses : b&s live.  First, setlist...

>From Martin's post :

> -  The first few bars from "Whiskey in the Jar" in the tranquil Struan mode
> with just piano accompaniment (which, he surmised, probably surprised us and
> and the band, even to the extent that it might cause them involuntary bowel
> movements)

reminded me of when my mum used to sing me to sleep as a kid with 'as
I was going over, the cork and kerry mountains....' Stuarts version
held far more affinity with my mothers version then Thin Lizzy's.

> -  Slow graffiti
> - Seeing other people (IYFS version)
> - The State that I am in

This was the Tigermilk version FYI - and astoundingly brilliant it
was too.

> - Wrong girl
> - I know where the summer goes
> - New song from Isobel which might be called I married a fool and also had
> references to cages
> -  Who's that girl (Stuart D)

These last two were down as 'Family tree' and 'Winter Wooskie' on the
setlist, respectively.

> - I don't love anyone
> - Paper boat
> - Dog on wheels
> - Seymour Stein
> - Simple things

Was actually last on the setlist but Stuart told everyone he wanted
to play it here instead

> - Photo Jenny (I got the impression that Isobel was to do a song at that
> point, but backed out.

I don't think this was the case...

> And Struan's mike stand fell or he pushed it over

He kicked it over I think....

> and then the strenuous guitar remodelling took place.  Keith and Mr Miller,
> used to the Who, would have loved it.)  But after a bit, Struan seemed to be
> prevailed on to do
> - The Boy with the Arab Strap

Right... the guitar smashing stuff. I was right at the front and
centre (and was intensely concentrating on the minutest facial
expression all night) so I thing there may be a bit more to it then
has been made out. First up, I don't know what Isobel's usual stage
demenour is but last night she was *not* happy. She only gave half a
smile once during the gig, when Stuart wispered something to her
between songs. She looked like she was pissed off, and did not want
to be there at all. Then during photo jenny Isobel was playing bass,
and Stuart looked back at her a few times and it was clear that there
was something going on... he seemed agitated and distracted, and
fluffed the words at one point. Even before the song was fully over
he took off his guitar (a rather nice-looking cream semi acoustic)
and a look of complete anger and malevolance came over his face. He
smashed it as hard as you can possibly imagine over the monitor and
then gave it a fairly hefty kick. This was not a kurt cobain-esque
'look at me... i can smash things too...'... this seemed to be done
completely out of anger and frustration. To tell you the truth, it
was kind of scary... I was only a couple of meters away with no
living being between myself and said smashing. Its not exactly the
twee-est thing to do, is it?

Anyway, Isobel got her jacket and rushed off stage... Stuart went to
the keyboard and talked to Chris for a sec, shaking his head. He got
it together to play The boy with the arab strap and that was that.

After a long wait around the side afterwards, a nice rodie type
person went and found a small (maybe 1 inch by a half and inch) piece
of the guitar. Also Chris and his girlfriend came out and they were
really really nice and friendly. He said he didn't know exactly what
had happened and didn't seem too bothered. All he said was really
that they were 'probably back at the hotel, tearing each others eyes
out'. He also mentioned that the bowlie promotors wanted to do
another one in sept, but he didn't know if b&s would be involved :(

On another, less violent note... I saw my first ever real life copy
of Tigermilk yesterday, and also heard a jeepster-type guy say that
they'd just decided on July 12th as the re-issue date. He went on
about the packaging as if it was going to be all 7 wonders of the
modern world together in one record sleve... and how it was going to
be 9 pounds & they wouldn't make any money on it => a lie, unless
were talking diamond studded, gold plated grooves, etc.

Oh yeah, and tshirt prices at 16 pounds irish is still about 14
pounds uk. Pricey enough... although you got a handful of free badges
with that too. I think the venue was taking a cut, that's why the
prices were so high. That's capitalism for you. Maybe the belles
should think about doing it independently next time (ie, play in my
living room for free, tshirts 2.50 and free sexual favours).

Anyhow, I fear I may have overstepped my boundries here.. so i'll be
content with my memories of the lovely scottish bloke in the crowd
who shouted for "Ma Wunderin' Daes Ar U-ver", and head off to bed.

ps I'm sick

-Damien