Sinister: Way to breathe...no-breath

FourJacksAndAJill bkim0 at xxx.edu
Mon Aug 2 16:52:07 BST 1999

First of all, I want to thank my air-conditioner for allowing me to remain
so serene in this time of 90-degree weather.  The only discomfort I feel
is the trip from my bedroom to the car (where the AC also is in full
effect).  80 people dead in Chicago...well, at least they've gone to a
cooler place.  In heaven, the air is central.

Secondly, I went to a "Britpop" dance night in Philly this past Saturday
w/ ladyfriend Adela.  While the venue was nice and big and full of crazy
lights, their smoke machine was out of control and the music lagged a lot.
I mean two Belle and Sebastian songs were played and they couldn't have
picked worse ones to play in a dance night context I think..."Get Me Away"
and something else nice and soft and la-la bouncy, not thumping like
"Dirty Dream" or even "Boy...Strap" or "Electronic...'Ssance".  Come on
people!!  I don't think any New Order was played...a dance travesty.  They
did have free _Tigermilk_ posters and postcards though of which I helped
myself.  Now I can send them to friends and say "Hey, long time no
talk!  How goes the cancer?...oh by the way, _Tigermilk_ is now out on
Matador records.  Love Ben X."

Thirdly, I'm afraid I've heard just as much if not more about _The Blair
Witch Project_ as I did about _Phantom Menace_ before I saw *that*.  And
_PM_ was a big disappointment.  I might as well never see big studio
movies again.  Pornos are the true independent films...what do you Brits
think of _Austin Powers_ though?  A warning from this side of the pond,
avoid _Runaway Bride_.  I can barely watch the commericals anymore save
for the stupid grandma "tight butt" joke which I enjoy mimicking as a form
of torture.  Well I dew!!!

Fourthly, whoever said "Slow Graffiti" sounded like "Tennessee Waltz" is
right on.

Fifthly, man...stop watching _Eastenders_ for a year and you miss
everything.:) Oh well, I can't say my decreased Anglophilia has caused a
decline in the quality of life.

Sixthly, Rapestock could learn a thing or two from Bowlie I'm betting.  My
vivid imagination evokes horrific, hedonistic scenes of people stepping on
others' feet and much accidental brushing and bumping between strangers at
the weekender "mosh pits"...

Seventhly, a British friend of mine e-mailed me to say she saw Marine
Research and thought they were all right but "too British" and reminsicent
of Louise Wener!  Ha.  It's true I guess, MR are a lil' more Britpop than
Heavenly but Louise Wener, that's a little low.

Eighthly, everytime I hear the beginning of "We Rule The School" I expect
to hear "Fox in the snow..."  Maybe in twenty years they can do that as a
medley in Vegas when they open for Sheena Easton.  Maybe on the next album
they'll get so self-referential that they'll sing

"Well I told you 'bout Lazy Line Painter Jane
 You know that chick who's hidin' her shame
 With the lotions she's rubbin' in
 Reading _The State That I'm In_"

(well heck they can afford to mention that darn book one more time don't
you think?)

Ninthly, I like that new Madonna song a lot actually.  Yay, Madonna is
tuneful again.  Zephyr in the sky keeps on turning.

Tenthly I'll stop now and stop hogging server space.

Xavier

 BXK
 bkim0 at dept.english.upenn.edu | www.english.upenn.edu/~bkim0
 It's what kind of hair you have on the inside that counts.--G.S.