Sinister: "I AM SO SCARED!!!"

Scott Turner Scott.Turner at xxx.com
Tue Aug 3 15:54:03 BST 1999

I really don't want people to take this the wrong way, but I am
absolutely shocked by the negative reaction that people have been
having to the Blair Witch Project. I think the criticism's are even
scarier than the movie is.

Has hollywood conditioned your emotions so much, that you couldn't
emerse yourself into this movie and be petrified???!!! I am SO
SCARED!!!! Really I am. Not just that most of the criticisms completely
didn't know how to deal with the movie on its own terms ("uh, the
character development was a bit shakey",... "uh, the dialogue left alot
to be desired, I think hemmingway could have done a better job with
it"), but the fact that you couldn't feel. I mean people should do
psychology experiments on you. What on earth is scary to you then? When
hollywood "suprises" you with special effects and a quick
montage!!!???  Neve Campbell in a tight shirt screaming bloody
murder?????!!!!!!! Something you can put a face on and see and hear and
know clearly????!!!! A confessional ending that ties up all the loose
ends for you, puts your emotions in a tidy little package until the
sequel???!!!! I am really interested to find out what you'all think is
frightening.

In Blair Witch, there were no suprises, no sexual exploitation, no
special effects, at all, yet if you emersed yourself into the
experience, it was absolutely frightening. The film technique was truly
inventive and forceful. See it without prejudice. Shed the emotive
programming and feel something fresh for a change. Leave your
insulation of jade and irony at home, and expose yourself to something
new.

Again, I don't mean to offend anyone directly, I'm just flabbergasted
in general.

B&S content:

Well sort of: all you new wave 80's kids should check out Barcelona on
March Records. Its some great indie-pop with lots of casios.

Philly content:

Should have went to Sorted on Saturday but went to Silk City instead.
Mistake. Other than a fine speech on ornithology and bird calls, Arling
& Cameron were posers and thieves.