Sinister: In Defense of the Non-Jaded People

Lana622 at xxx.com Lana622 at xxx.com
Tue Aug 3 16:33:25 BST 1999

 Hello everybody,
       I don't get mad very often, but I'm slightly, um, peeved now.  If it
wasn't for the extremely supportive show of anti-Blair Witch
sentiments--we're going to start a club, you know--I wouldn't send this to
the list, but I feel the need to defend all the others on the list who didn't
like this movie.    Sorry if it offends anyone who liked the film, just
remember how bad I'll feel tomorrow for sending this, if that makes you feel
better.

Scott Turner writes:

>>Not just that most of the criticisms completely
didn't know how to deal with the movie on its own terms ("uh, the
character development was a bit shakey",... "uh, the dialogue left alot
to be desired, I think hemmingway could have done a better job with
it"),<<
       Okay, here's what I have a problem with.  Besides the fact that there
was NO character development, the dialogue sucked!  I hate Hemingway, but at
least he wrote sentences that didn't always contain the word "fuck."  How can
you accept that as decent dialogue?  Those actors were obviously running out
of things to say, and it was painfully obvious.  They'd sort of look around
after a while, say, "Um, FUCK!"  and then look very pleased with themselves.

 >>I mean people should do psychology experiments on you. What on earth is
scary to you then?<<
      I can tell you what's NOT scary...obnoxious people running around in
the woods.  I was rooting for the Blair Witch, especially in the case of that
Heather chick.  She should have been the first to go, she reminded me of too
many people I went to school with.

   >>A confessional ending that ties up all the loose
ends for you, puts your emotions in a tidy little package until the
sequel???!!!! I am really interested to find out what you'all think is
frightening.<<
   I do enjoy it when the movie is CLEAR as to what's going on, but oh god,
that's probably just me being dumb, huh?  Have you ever seen an Alfred
Hitchcock?  He manages to be scary and clear at the same time.

>>In Blair Witch, there were no suprises, no sexual exploitation, no
special effects, at all, yet if you emersed yourself into the
experience, it was absolutely frightening. The film technique was truly
inventive and forceful. See it without prejudice. Shed the emotive
programming and feel something fresh for a change. Leave your
insulation of jade and irony at home, and expose yourself to something
new.<<
      Heather, you can be honest...we know it's you, darling!!

Okay, that's enough of me being bitchy for the day, and now I'm feeling bad
and sorry for being mean.  Now I'll think of nice things to put me in a
better mood.
  Spunky Flowers (thanx paul)
   She's Losing It (who needs boys...la la la)
   Sunny Days
   Puppies and kittens
    Mick Cooke

Love,