Sinister: The 'Great' Blair Witch Debate =) (or: Lick Me Mommy, Lick Me)

Brian Pennington (Mick McMick) bp224996 at xxx.edu
Tue Aug 3 17:12:09 BST 1999

Hm...
	I think I already made my sentiments on the movie clear when I
initially posted about seeing it some weeks ago. But I wanted to express
a few responses to some things Lana said...

	Firstly she accused those of us who were scared of the Blair Witch of
being citified. Well, without using the word 'citified,' anyway. I
myself was a boy scout, went camping innumerable times, and was born &
raised in Charleston, 'West-by-god-Virginia' which is about as far from
a major center of population as a minor center of population can get. I
was quite scared....although that bit about following the creek did
indeed occur to me as well, my 'citified' compatriots thought this was
ingenious ;)  Evidently they did not get the Orienteering merit badge.
	Also, the thing that struck me as the most bizarre was that the Blair
Witch project was put down and compared wistfully to the Exorcist, the
only horror movie I have ever laughed at before. Perhaps it was karma.
Anyway, the idea that some girl saying "Lick Me Mommy, Lick Me" is
scarier than the Blair Witch is as funny to me as I found the Exorcist
to be. Not that I'm saying anyone is wrong to disagree with me, but I
still find the comparison odd.
	The Exorcist 3, now, that was scary, I'll admit.

	I think the thing that made the Blair Witch scary for me was that the
directors grasped what is in my opinion the fundamental concept of
horror movies. That is that the greatest fear humans have is the fear of
the unknown. I first heard it mentioned in conjunction with Jacob's
Ladder, which was the scariest movie I thought I'd seen until the Blair
Witch Project.
	The idea is, they provide you with a hint of the possibilities, and
your own imagination runs rampant on you, creating things more horriffic
than any special effects budget or head-spinning girl. Perhaps those of
us not impressed were those who could hold their imagination in check.

	Mick McMick @ work