Sinister: In Defense of invention

Scott Turner Scott.Turner at xxx.com
Tue Aug 3 17:44:35 BST 1999

Sorry for the double post- and sorry for insighting a negative thread
and getting people peaved, but i wanted to give a proper defense of
Blair without cheap shots at people who didn't like it.

(Intimations of B&S content at the end.)

Please don't read if you haven't seen Blair Witch.

I think I understand where the Witch hunt is coming from but I still
fervently disagree with it because it is not dealing with the movie on
its own terms.

Ask the question: Why was there no character development?

- the movie is a fake. What's it faking. Its supposed to be actual 16mm
film reels that a bunch of wankers were shooting for a documentary.
There is no real character development, because the footage they are
filming has absolutely no interest with the lives of the filmakers. The
footage is not supposed to be about heather, mike and josh- its
supposed to be enough film and DAT that heather can go into the editing
room, do a voice over and put together a documentary for her class.
Personally, I liked the non-character development in the sense that you
learned about these three people, very similarly in how they would have
learned about each other. Heather became more and more annoying as the
film went on, so annoying that you just end up hating the dumb-bitch.
Same with Mike- you want to chop his head off when you find out the
dumb-fuck threw away the map. And josh?- caught some where between
redneck and Marilyn Manson. Are any of them likeable? I sure don't
think so. which leads, i think to the interesting ethical dimension of
the film. We are the forth person along on the hike, and the most
disabled of the lot. We see through the limitations of a shitty cameras
eye, and hear through a DAT that hasn't been set up very well. We're
like some fucked up tag along beast that can't say or do anything but
is put through the torment of being at the whimsy of their fucked up
decisions. The ethical dimension- I not only felt scared for my own
mutant camera/dat body, but I felt really bad for them. I mean I did
not like them, but I felt really bad for them. I mean do you really
want all those kids like them to die horrible deaths. Really. It was a
peversely empathetic experience. Their dialogue- do most people like
them speak as if a professional writer were scripting their everyword.
of course not. They say fuck way too much. Don't believe, go outside
and listen.

Which leads me to the point of emersing yourself in the movie and the
jaded comments. This movie is very emersable, so much so, that lots of
people puke in the theatre because their senses are so disoriented. The
movie fucks with the forth-persons (the viewers) ability to form
knowledge. Not to go off on a Kant tangent, but, we form knowledge by
synthesizing our multiple sensations of an object or experience through
time into our intellect so we clearly "understand" an object or
experinece. This film incessantly inhibited our ability to "know"
things in the movie. Our visuals were almost always poor (so poor that
the close up of the bundle couldn't make out whether they were josh's
fingers or his intestines) and the sound was constantly inhibited, not
being able to decipher sounds and was many times disjoined from the
visuals themselves (ie. the last scene, mike gets knocked down, the
edit cuts to heathers reel, but the DAT is still with mike in the
basement. We see Heathers visuals, but only faintly hear her screams
because the recorder is all the way in the basement. As she approaches
the basement we hear her screams startlingly louder and louder until
she is in the same room with the DAT, sees mike and gets clubbed. It
was absolutely brilliant- hitchcock would have loved that sequence more
than anybody!).
Which is where for me the fright was- not simply in the unknown, but
the fact that I was trying so hard to know things in the film with my
senses, but the film wouldn't let me, like I was a cripple in some
fucked up dream. That for me was petrifying.

Back to hitchcock- hitchcock was brilliant and scary. But that was
before most of us were born. He set the standard for the horror flick,
and his movies were truly great. He made the rules of the genre- and
for over thirty years we've been subjected to below average films
following these rules like they came from Moses. Can their be another
Hitchcock? The genre has become so cliche that in my opinion the best
horror movie of recent years was gus van sant's shot-by-shot remake of
psycho- weird, yes- postmodern, yes- a final comment on the genre, yes.
What I love about the Blair Witch Project is that it was trying to do
something new with the emotion "fear". It is inventive. Instead of
ripping everything off from the father hitchcock, it set its sight on
creating something different.

Untimely, yes. Different, yes, Emotive, imo, yes. Sounds a bit like
Belle and Sebastian in that slant, doesn't it.

.scott

Memo from Lana622 on 3 August 1999, 11:36  Tuesday