Sinister: Out of the Nursery and into the . . .

Dan Hooper dhooper at xxx.com
Tue Aug 3 22:39:34 BST 1999

Hello everybody,

Like so many others of late, I have recently aquired my voice; and since
you're beating the bushes to drive lurkers out in the open, by way of
stepping out from the nursery, I take this opportunity to say "hi".

I only discovered Belle & Sebastian with the release of TBWTAS. I had been
hearing various things about them, the devotion of their fans, and this
list (all of it good, by the way), and I tendered up my cash to check out
their latest release. On first hearing, I fell in love. And subsequent
listenings only deepen my appreciation for this wonderful record. I was
especially touched by Isobel's voice on "Wicked Not to Care," and I think
the song is pretty cool too. I also like "Chickfactor" (kinda captures what
life is like inside of the male psyche) and "Seymour Stein," though I get
the feeling from reading the last few months that I am in the minority here.

I was so taken by what I heard on TBWTAS, and what I read on the Jeepster B
& S website, that I ordered all of their LP's and EP's, including an
advanced orer for "Tigermilk," from Jeepster (I also believe in supporting
bands as directly as possible). Unfortunately for me, I didn't read all the
fine print until it was too late. I would have to wait until "Tigermilk"
was released before I would get any of the records (silly me). Then my bank
declined my credit card, due, it turns out, to the number of charges
originating from the UK (I used my June holiday to chase the Rolling
Stones/Sheryl Crow tour from Edinburgh to Webley Stadium), and they were
concerned that my card might be stolen. But David Kitchen and staff were
very patient with me, my troubles, and my e-mails. And now, I'm assured, my
records are on their way to me. I can't wait to listen, to catch up, to
enjoy, and to understand what you are talking about.

Meanwhile, Looper came to San Francisco, and I found myself standing in the
middle of the floor at the Great American Music Hall that tuesday night.
Or, I should say I would open my eyes and be surprized to find myself
standing in the middle of the floor at the great American Music Hall,
because the music I was listening too had a stange effect on me. As Looper
played, I would close my eyes, and slip into a waking dream. Alpha waves
rearraging my little grey cells, dream scapes of figures running through
green fields, boys waiting for their dad and sister to arrive on Mars, all
mixed up with other stuff that had nothing to do with me standing in the
middle of the floor at the Great American Music Hall on a tuesday night in
San Francisco listening to a band I had never heard before. I was
impressed, though Stuart did not wear any light goggles that I saw, though
they do sound kinda cool.

I came home from the show and my housemate, who has made fun of me
listening to "that wimpy Belle and whoever music" ever since I got the
record, asked me "Did you enjoy Looper, Hooper?" (my last name being Hooper
and all). And I realized, I was destined to be a fan of this music.

Anyway, I have comments of a few of the threads that have been going by.

BLAIR WITCH PROJECT
The film impressed with it's ability to evoke true, deep, bone-chilling
fear in me. All the media hype has made it near impossible to see the film
in San Francisco without waiting hours in line. And I'm afraid that unless
it truely evokes a deep sense of fear in me, the prospect of spending all
that time on the sidewalk is too too scary.

Also, I do find Neve Campbell in a tight shirt screaming bloody murder
scary. As scary as Jamie Lee Cutris, or Jennifer Love Hewitt, or any other
shapely mezzo soprano or higher in a tight shirt screaming bloody murder.
Maybe it just touches on my deep-seated fear of annoying noises.

FEMALE MASTERBATION
It really isn't my place say  . . . anything, really. I always assumed
girls did it as much as we boys, they were just more discreet about it
(and, except for the rythmic clanging, what could be more discreet than
benwa balls?). As for what to call it, let me suggest "Stoking the Hot
Bar-B-Q Pit." Silly, yes. But no more so than "choking the chicken" or
"milking the lizard." One of my female co-workers suggests "petting the
kitty."

SEX EDUCATION
in my experience, sex education is like music lessons. They can teach you
how to hold the instrument, how to play the correct notes, and introduce
you to the repertoire; but only you can make it sing by finding the source
in your soul, and you can only become good at it by doing it with all your
heart. And practice practice practice. Maybe understanding that is why
musicians make better lovers. That and the fact that cellist do it in 14
positions and thumb too.

LADS WITH SCOTTISH ACCENTS SCORING BIG-TIME WITH AMERICAN BIRDS
A friend of mine, an Englishman who got kicked out of Harrow for selling
reefer to his fellows, was staying in San Francisco with me for the summer
a  few years ago. He and I would go out "bird hunting" (as he liked to call
it) and I have to admit, his Harrow accent opened more than a few doors
that I know would have remained closed had he spoken with an American
accent of any but the most distinct kind. So you Scottish lads will
probably do well here in the states (at least in California, you would).
But be forewarned, it merely opens the doors, you'll need something more
(e.g., a personality) to keep it from being slammed in your face.

By the way, it would appear that a California accent has the same general
effect in Scotland, England, Italy, and France. Or, such was my experience.
And I for one, absolutely melt for girls with Scottish Accents (e.g.,
Isobel Campbell).

PICNICS
I wish we could get one up in San Francisco. They sound like loads of fun.

CRUSHES
I've looked at the pictures and cast my vote(s). And Yes I voted for Isobel
too.

LOVE and THE PERFECT PARTNER
I believe, and I know she exists. Like the Platonic idea of two seperated
halves, searching for their other, I shall continue my search. But, so far,
the greatest loove of my life was a girl a knew when I was 17. She moved
away and our relationship disolved when I was 19, but she still haunts me,
and casts a strong influence over the girls I've been attracted to ever
since. Even if I never find another like her, to quit the search would be
tantamount to stop listening to music or breathing. Life might as well
stop. Even Dante, after passing through the Inferno, Purgatorio, and
Paradisio, found at the center of the light he assumed to be the totality
of all, he found Love.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I will try to contain myself in the future.

By the way, I think I like most everyone whose post I've read so far. I
hope you'll like me.

All the best
Daniel Hooper
San Francisco, California