Sinister: Re: Chasing Amy

Justin Williams justin at xxx.com
Tue Aug 3 23:21:04 BST 1999

Don't read any further if you haven't seen Chasing Amy, well, if you still
want to see it =)

First of all I recommend you (Lesley Jo) see the movie first. I understand
where you are coming from, as much as I can through just reading what you
have said. However, I have never met anyone who has seen the movie and
thought that they were more educated on the nature of lesbianism or the
like (you mentioned a girl who had said that to you, but that is just one
person, and probably a confused one at that). The fact that the writer is a
heterosexual male should not be that big of an issue because IMHO it's not
as if the whole movie centers around the lesbian community. Yeah, there is
one lesbian and she has a small group of lesbian friends, but the primary
focus is on a (narcissistic, yes, but who isn't to some degree, and I think
Ben Affleck comes off that way all the time anyways) heterosexual male who
happens to fall in love with a lesbian, a subject that many heterosexual
males can sympathize with I'm sure. The fact that the girl ends up falling
for the guy and "changes" (at least on the surface) her sexual preference
may be a bit far-fetched, but it can and does happen, however infrequent.
Now, if you're idea of a lesbian is someone who has been that way from
birth, of course that is a ridiculous and male-influenced fantasy, but not
all lesbians feel they have been attracted to females from birth. It's just
not that cut and dry for everyone. That is, however, an entirely separate
discussion.

Just like any surfacing topic in society, there is always going to be a
movie or book that attempts to define the topic, but more often that not it
is considerably misinformed and out-of-date by the people who are affected
by the topic in question. I understand that you may think that because of
this movie now all heterosexual males who have seen it will think that they
can "change" or influence their lesbian friend to fall in love with them
and switch teams, but give us (boys) some credit. There are going to be
guys who believe that, but they, more likely than not, believed that before
they went to the movie. I'm not saying the movie is beyond reproach, but I
say give it a chance. I personally think it was a touching piece on the
nature of love (between two humans, regardless of gender). And please don't
take this as coming from a "heterosexual" biased male, because first off I
can't say I am heterosexual anymore than I can claim to be homosexual, and
secondly I consider myself if anything much more anti-male (testosterone
ones to be exact) than anti-female. Bottom line I guess is, yeah there are
some offensive scenes in the movie from a gay perspective but don't trash
the entire movie because of them. Anyways, I hope this was seen more as an
addendum to what you said rather than a counterpoint. And if any of my
statements weren't well thought out enough, please be so kind as to discuss
them with me rather than chalk them up to ignorance =)

Sorry for the lack of B&S content, I seem to be notorious for that...but
what can I possibly say of interest about them when I have probably the
least amount of contact with them? All I want to say is they're divine over
and over again, but I'm sure you kids already know that...

hugs and more hugs,
Justin W

"I want to be good, but good is being simple.
Simple is forgetting...I simply can't forget." - The Judybats