Sinister: [ ...your heading here...]

poetryplace2 poetryplace2 at xxx.uk
Wed Aug 4 17:31:15 BST 1999

Enough already!

[...]
I was intrigued to read, in this week's issue of the metrosexual jazzmag
Time Out, an interview between thinking woman's journo-crumpet Peter
Paphides and Stu D's old man, Mr Hal David, the feller who use to write all
the words for Burt Baccarat. Paphides chances his arm and asks the Alexander
Pope of Pop what he thinks of modern lyricists, playing him a "snatch" of
"Seeing Other People". Mr David responds:"it's a very original idea, a very
youthful idea. But if I have any objection it's to the song itself, which
goes on repeating itself. Personally I would have required a tune that was
more developed". Well, miaow! Hal goes on to say that Pulp's "Something
Changed" is "wonderful". Next week: Jaco Pastorius gives his opinion of
Groucho Robertson's bass-playing on "Spaceboy Dream".

[...]
Mental Mickey Jones mentioned the total eclipse of Bonnie Tyler next week.
It did occur to someone at the p*cn*c on Saturday that, had we all be killed
by a bolt of lightning on top of Primrose Hill, the media would have thought
we were a cult of virgin cardie-wearing interweb creepynutfreaks who had
committed mass suicide in the belief that Isobel Campbell was waiting for us
in a groovy Barbarella-style spaceship hidden behind the moon and was going
to beam us up to safety before the Dark Lord of Terror descends from the
skies and the seas turn to Um Bongo next Wednesday.

[...]
Pamela H said that Baxendale sound like My Life Story.

WHAT???? Are you such a desensitized,  citified  wuss, that you can't
respond to things *genuinely * anymore and *emerse * yourself in the sheer
*beauty * of  *pop music *? What, do you expect lyrics like *Hemingway * or
something?? I mean, people should do psychology experiments on you!! What on
earth IS pop music to you then? Shed your emotive programming and feel
something fresh for a change! Leave your insulation of jade and irony at
home, and expose yourself to something NEW! I was a boy scout in Stevenage,
you know.

Stevie Trousers
xxx

Ask Mr Trousers: