Sinister: If there's meat pies on her nipples it must be England

FourJacksAndAJill bkim0 at xxx.edu
Fri Aug 6 16:01:01 BST 1999

So said Pete...
--
Christ, mate - not even the go-go dancers in Wigan wear pasties on
their nipples. Meat pies, maybe, but I don't think any of them have
sunk as low as pasties yet. Oh, the joy of words that mean different
things at different sides of the pond. I suppose my pervious statement
(and hence previous post on the subject) deserves some explanation.
For those of you not used to going to the pie shop and ordering a
pastie on a friday for lunch, a pastie (over here at least) is a
sort-of pretender to the throne of the all-conquering meat pie. It's
essentially a pastry wrapping around a filling of meat and potato or
cheese and onion, and it comes in two main forms, "cornish" or "puff".
A Cornish pastie has your average inch-and-a-half thick, solid as a
rock pastry round it, and Puff Pasties have kind of more of a filoux
(referred to as "puff") pastry.
--
This is all very well and good but it only begs the question (well in my
mind anyhoo) "What do you call the little things UK go-go dancers wear

I think the closest thing we have to puff pasties are spanikopitas, very
delicious spinach pies of Greek/Med. origin.  This sounds like the UK
version of the wrapped savory dish though a la egg rolls, burritos,
knishes, ravioli, gyros, etc.

So I'm to understand the go-go dancers in Wigan are of low quality over
there?  Perhaps some Wigan dancers on the list would like to defend
themselves...?  (I'm not holding my breath)

I think I remember in my young non-global mind thinking Big Country were
really really strange.  "They're Scottish?  But...they have a black guy in
it!"  (I thought only the US and Africa were privy to black
populations....this was before I knew about imperialism and the like...or
before my mind could handle such a mind-blowing concept as a black person
with a Scottish accent)  I don't think I even liked them the first time
around.  Man, I was so stupid then. But weren't we all. Now, bring on the
Proclaimers reunion to accompany the apocalypse...

Xavier
--

 BXK
 bkim0 at dept.english.upenn.edu | www.english.upenn.edu/~bkim0