Sinister: IN the FACE!,

Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk
Fri Aug 6 16:53:28 BST 1999

I know how to spell 'lambaste', Mark Smartarsearotto.  Errm, honest.  I should
have put a (sic) in.  Blame Stuart Murdoch.  Or the journalist from The List who
transcribed his note.  Or Calumn Shearer, for sending it into Sinister wrong.
Or 'trendy modern teaching methods'.  Just not me.

I also know how to spell 'pejorative'.

One thing I forgot to say was how interesting it was to read Mr Hal David's
views on 'Seeing Other People'.  I often find myself wanting to play cracking
modern tunes to old folks whom I respect.   I don't know why.  I think I seek
their approval.  When I was 14 I showed my grandfather the lyric sheet to
'Hatful of Hollow'.  I can't remember what he said, though.  I do remember that
my dad disapproved of the line 'England is mine, and it owes me a living'.  I
tried to persuade him that it was all ambivalent and ironic, but in retrospect,
I'm not sure it was.

I'm off work and email next week.  Would anyone who lives along within the
'boundaries of totality' like to put me up on Tuesday night?  Otherwise, I shall
be forced to find a campsite.  Is no one else excited about the eclipse?  "Ooh,
it'll be cloudy"  "Ooh they'll be awful traffic jams"  "Ooh, you'll go blind"
"Ooh, Cornwall will sink"  "Ooh, British business will lose millions in missed
working hours" "Ooh, isn't it all just a lot of media hype?"  SHUT UP SHUT UP
SHUT UP.

Anyway, I shall be on email all today and most of Saturday if anyone feels like
being kind.

Nick xxx