Sinister: (no subject)

Walkn10 at xxx.com Walkn10 at xxx.com
Fri Aug 6 22:39:21 BST 1999

I recently bought the new Lilys record and I was amazed at how much Kurt
Heasley sings like our very own Stuart M.  So suprised was I that I
immediately checked to make sure "Kurt Heasley" wasn't an old alias of
Struan's, or maybe a twin brother or something.  Of course Kurt is 6'6 and
looks nothing like Stuart, but thats beside the point.  Have you ever seen
the Lilys and B&S play the same show?  I rest my case.  Plus, I read an
interview where Kurt says the only band he considers among his peers is Belle
and Sebastian.   Hmmmm...methinks Stuart will take press wherever he can get
it, even if that involves wearing 6 inch stilts and playing retro pop.
Devious boy...
Seriously, the album is quite good.  Some songs seem like TOO many parts are
crammed into them (Socs Hip is the best song the Zombies never wrote, dragged
out for 7 and a half minutes.  Ugh).  Betwen them and Jonathan Fire*Eater you
have the twin paragons of sassy retro rock (although JFE have tons more sass
and much less chops).  Kurt really does have a beautiful voice and his
melodies are sometimes insanely catchy, but its not all the way there or
anything.  Stuart could still kick his arse into next week and Kurt could do
nothing about it.  In fact, I'd almost like to see that happen...
Does there exist a list of dates that we all gained our voices upon or
something along those lines, so's we could have a quasi "Sinister B-day" or
something.  Think of the wit and smut spread 'round on "Nick Dastoor Day" or
the sheer Bacchanlian street party that will be "Paula Cullen Booze Explosion
Day"?  How the young lads would look forward to "Erica MacArthur's"
aniversary...and the lasses to "Stevie Trousers Week," because with his
universal popularity it would take seven days for the rioting to cease.  Just
an idea...
Someone remarked to me the other day that B&S are "too indie" for him to
like.  I asked him if he has ever heard Simon and Garfunkel and he said yes,
but that they were too "foo-foo" for him.  Not sure what to make of that, but
I guess some people just have a habit of wearing their arse for a hat...

steve c.

"After the victory at sea we learned Portugese for use when in Brasilia..."