Sinister: He's so gorgeous, don't ya know?(says the formerly funkyseb)

Honey honey at xxx.net
Tue Aug 10 20:23:31 BST 1999

FunkySeb as Essexdog5 at aol.com said:

>         I'm not formerly of the list incidentally- it's just that certain
> honeys have been asking me to come back on, and then leaving me in the
> nursery for 3 months. Arrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!

<brief pause>

No Seb, you're not in the nursery.  This is a bit like when you told
everyone "in another place" that you were banned and I had to tell you you
weren't and never had been, so you rejoined.  You can check anytime, anyone
can, from the WWW page, who's in the nursery.  Listen, if anyone, like Seb,
thinks they might be nurseryised, or think they should've received a mail
saying they're out and haven't, try a post, and if it bounces, don't
just sit their grumbling and thinking I hate you, LET ME KNOW.  Then
you might discover that you've been able to post for THREE WHOLE
MONTHS and not realised it.

If your email still bounces, and you've checked that you're not in the
nursery, LET ME KNOW AGAIN.  It's usually something odd with your email
client, but I'm happy to wade in and take a look for you.

It feels a bit silly for me to have to explain that I don't sit here all
day long watching for new subscriptions, and manually shuffling people
between the nursery and the main list, subscribing people, passing on posts
etc: I have a F.H. computer to do that, and it's not feasible to do any
other way.  The F.H. computer has software that's a bit crap, because it's
written by me, and I'm a bit crap, but it gets by on the whole, and mostly
it does what it's supposed to do, and we all get a list out of it.  If
someone new subscribes, it looks out for them two weeks later and lets them
out the nursery itself, sending them a set of instructions about what's
happening.  If someone joins who's been on the list before, it'll notice
pretty soon and silently move them out the nursery, because it assumes
seeing they've been here before they've got a bit of nouse, and know where
to look for stuff and who to ask if you're confused.  Just because you
don't get an email from it telling you you're out doesn't mean you should
start compiling a dossier for a BBC documentary.

For those of a different persuasion, who think I might have not been
doing *enough* for Sinister recently, I'm sorry.  It's true, I've
been woefully absent and the F.H. computer has been the busy bee on
my behalf.  If anyone's really stuck with anything on the list, or
has any serious comments about the list, content and whatnot, let me
know.

Finally chatrooms: we're relatively happily ensconced in our new home on
the Undernet network, chatroom #sinister, and awaiting official
recognitions.  Holly is putting up new wallpaper and Starry is installing
the drinks cabinet and it's all looking very homely already.  If anyone
wants to join in and hasn't, and can't get on having looked at the help on
the Sinister page, drop me a line and I'll try.  I'm having a right old
laugh with Virgin, our previous chatroom suppliers who went all mean on us,
asking them to put set the topic on the old chat room to point to the new
one.  They claim its advertising and their rules don't allow it: it's got
to the level of philosophical debate about whether the word "advertising"
is exclusively reserved for commerce.  We don't need the topic set, it's
just, I'm enjoying the emails.

Be careful, children, the stairs are steep,
Honey x