Sinister: A mile and a half on foot takes longer . . .

fionaone at xxx.au fionaone at xxx.au
Thu Aug 12 07:16:42 BST 1999

Hello.

After a few weeks of voyeuristically reading all your posts (which has
been quite fascinating since i hear nothing about Belle and Sebastian in
Australia), i now have a voice of my very own.  I probably won't write
very often due to my sloth-like nature but for now i'll introduce
myself.

My name is Fiona.  I live in Adelaide (the capital city of my state,
South Australia), as i have done for the whole twenty years and two
months of my life.  This is where i work (behind the reception desk at a
fitness centre) and study (Adelaide uni - English and Classics) too.

Belle and Sebastian are currently my very favourite band because they
make lovely tunes that force me to smile.  The other day I walked to
work listening to my tape of TBWTAS and nearly cried when I got there -
although it was only half because i had to turn the music off.  But then
work was good because it was very busy so it went quickly.  And i only
got abused by one person for being incompetent, but that was her problem
and not mine. But then i had sore feet from standing up for 5 hours.
And i have to go to bed soon so i can get up at 5 am to cover a shift
for someone with sore knees.

Anyway, I have only been listening to B & S for about 3 months.  I went
out and bought TBWTAS the day after hearing the title track at about 3
in the morning as i struggled to write an essay on James Joyce.  Then i
took a tape of it on a bus to Melbourne and it proved to be perfect
travelling music and it made it easy to ignore the woman next to me who
was sewing and shaking little bits of fluff all over my clothes. Since
then i have only heard B & S played twice more on the radio, at similar
times so they're not getting a lot of exposure over here which is very
sad.  But i have been telling everyone about them.  Getting hold of all
their recordings is proving to be quite tricky but i live in eternal
hope.

O, and i have been incredibly jealous of all the people who have been
complaining about the heat since it's been horribly cold down here.

Well, I have nothing more to say for now so I'll just keep reading.

Fiona.

fionaone at camtech.net.au
nausikaa85 at hotmail.com

P.S.  Theresa, you have all my sympathy.  Dogs are the best people.
Really.