Sinister: Head like a pretzel, salty and twisted

Reid Dossinger rdossinger at xxx.net
Thu Aug 12 15:06:49 BST 1999

Oh, it was horrible.  There I was, thrown in the nursery with the other
newcomers, banging against the bars with a tin can and screaming, "You
don't understand!!  I don't belong in here!!  Do you know who I AM?!!
This must be some kind of mistake!"

But, long story short, I'm out now, rejoined the list.  I'm sure a
couple of you remember me.  Well, maybe "remember" isn't quite right.
It's probably more like an unexplainable bitter taste and accompanying
nausea brought in a jolt by the sight of my name.  Don't worry.  My Dad
says you learn to live with it.

So I find Sinister in about the same condition as it was when I left it,
which is good.  I won't have to charge any damage fees.  I'm a little
concerned to see that people still write "B&S content?  Um..." at the
end of their messages as though discussing B&S is torture.  It's a
shame.  A damn shame.  Of course, I could talk about them for hours, and
I often do.  And on that note, why is everyone talking about there being
nothing going on in Belle and Sebastian land?  Plenty to talk about (for
me, anyway, being out of Sinister action):

- I love both the Looper and the Gentle Waves albums.  StuartD and
Isobel's stuff sound so much better removed from the context of Belle
and Sebastian.  I'd probably really enjoy Stevie solo album, too.
Actually, now that I think about it, I'd like it a lot.

- I'm sure this is blasphemy to some people, but Tigermilk is a perfect
CD album.  I love listening to it with headphones on, picking out all
the (incredible) individual parts.  As my friend Christian always says,
"I hope that everyone who worked on that album got a good grade."

- So once again, Jeepster has toyed with our emotions.  Now, I laughed
when I saw on the Jeepster site that the new album was going to be out
"in late summer."  Who did they think they were fooling?  But still, it
bothered me.  Just take when the band *thinks* it's going be done, add
six months, and if they get it done on time, it'll just be a great
suprise for all of us.  But I'm trying to brace myself for months of the
new album being pushed back again and again.  Honestly, I'll be
surprised if we get it before next summer.

- B&S have always been a comfort to me, but their music (esp. Tigermilk)
has been nothing short of a big tuneful security blanket in these
post-Woodstock days.  I watch Kid Rock and Korn and Limp Bizkit ride the
charts and all I want to do is hide in a corner with "She's Losing It"
on repeat play.  B&S sound like the way the world should be.  None of
this rape-inciting, violent music (hate) played by little boys who fool
themselves into thinking that music doesn't affect.  Okay, that's
enough...

Um, this being a "I'm back" post, I guess I should mention that I had to
leave my beloved North Carolina for the more promising land of Our
Nation's Capital (that would be my nation, not necessarily yours), a
place with everything but sweet tea.  But just because I left NC doesn't
mean I'm going to let you people start bad-mouthing it again.  I'll let
Laura Llew fly the "Proud to be a Carolinian" banner.  She does a damn
fine job of it.

So this being a post to Sinister, I now have to end with the obligatory
"Oh, enough of my rambling / this is so pointless / I'm only writing
this 'cause I'm bored," even though not a bit of that's true.  But I'm a
play-by-the-rules kind of guy.  Actually, that's not really true either.

A liar,
     Reid