Sinister: Glasgow: you almost certainly won't get glassed there

Ciflux at xxx.com Ciflux at xxx.com
Thu Aug 12 16:23:03 BST 1999

Walkn10 wrote:

<< I consulted a friend who's from London and he warned us not to step foot
inside Glasgow, as being Yanks we'll be sure to get roughed up and glassed.
He said every American friend he knows has had this happen to them. Please
tell me this is not true. >>

Don't believe it.  I can't speak for your London friend, but I am an American
who has been to Glasgow twice in the past few years, and I'm married to an
American who spent a semester studying at the uni.  I can tell you that every
Glaswegian I've ever met has been nothing less than friendly and hospitable.
And I've never felt intimidated walking around the city, though as with every
metropolis, there are certain parts of town you'll want to avoid (you
certainly wouldn't catch me in a dark alley in the Gorbals).  In many ways, I
find Glasgow to be a more welcoming city than Edinburgh or London.  It would
be a shame if you missed out on visiting such a fine place because some
Londoner tried to scare you out of it :).

mike
ciflux at aol.com
honeymoon photos from Glasgow:
http://www.geocities.com/FashionAvenue/Salon/6920/honeymoon.htm