Sinister: It reminded you of Johnny, the guitar player from the Smiths

David Moore Daf_Moore at xxx.com
Sun Aug 15 23:41:24 BST 1999

Hi Sinistereens,

CRASH!*?!*

What the ....?

Something just banged into the dining room window. Amidst a mess of green &
grey feathers, guano & some especially salty nautical cursing, the Poetry
Parrot staggers in after its flight from Hertford. "Sorry" it squawks
breathlessly, "Out of practice. Haven't flown much recently. Also, my
vision's all blurred after staying with the fair Erica." It suggests Eliot,
as I've been thinking about that today, but I can't be arsed to type out
all of Prufrock. So instead we'll have some thoughts on beauty, inside
("inscape") & outside, from Hopkins. Gerard Manley that is, not the even
more manly Tim. I'll omit the dedication, so as not to put people off :)

The Windhover

I caught this morning morning's minion, kingdom of daylight's dauphin,
dapple-dawn-drawn Falcon, in his riding
Of the rolling level underneath him steady air, and striding
High there, how he rung upon the rein of a wimpling wing
In his ecstasy! then off, off forth on swing,
As a skate's heel sweeps smooth on a bow-bend: the hurl and gliding
Rebuffed the big wind. My heart in hiding
Stirred for a bird,--the achieve of, the mastery of the thing!

Brute beauty and valour and act, oh, air, pride, plume, here
Buckle! AND the fire that breaks from thee then, a billion
Times told lovelier, more dangerous, O my chevalier!

No wonder of it: sheer plod makes plough down sillion
Shine, and blue-bleak embers, ah my dear,
Fall, gall themselves, and gash gold-vermilion.

(c.1877)

Haha! Bet compuserve's antique mail format makes that a delight to read!

The poxy parrot is being a pain now, digging its claws into my shoulder,
nibbling my ear with its beak & that disgusting tongue thing, & crapping
down my back, so I'm sending it off again. Whilst its still only certified
for VFR flights, it can make another short hop to Mr Martin Robinson, aural
confectioner of this parish.

I'll be on holiday on the 26th August & not in a position to post, so I'll
wish anyone awaiting their GCSE results good luck now ("you know who you
are"). I hope you get the grades you want (I suspect you'll do very well)

Thanks to Mark, Kevan, Trousers & Sam for organising the Tigermilking the
other night, well done.  Anyone apprehensive should go to any future ones
without hesitation, for the friendly company & Sinister-friendly music.
Where else can you go to dance to loads of B&S, & get The Who & Kate Jugsby
tossed in too? Talking of which, don't accept a pint from Mark C, unless
you enjoy playing guess the foreign body....

Bye,

David Moore
Chelmsford, UK