Sinister: taking it out on us.

marie elia littlearsonist at xxx.com
Mon Aug 16 04:51:41 BST 1999

hello, kids.

i just found out a weird thing:
one of my brother's best friends from high school is
in mercury rev.  my brother hadn't talked to this kid
(jason) in a few years, and he was flipping through
rolling stone, and there he sees a pic of his old
friend, accompanied by an article about the band.
weird, eh?  i mean, i knew the band were sort of from
kingston, ny (a town not too far from here), but i
find this very strange.  so anyway, my brother told me
about all this, pointed out aforementioned
article/pic, and then added, "oh and there's a review
of an album by that band you like... belle and
sebastian?"  ah, and so there is. and since i'm bored
and aol keeps giving my friends the boot, i will type
up the article for y'all:

***  (3 stars)
Belle and Sebastian
Tigermilk

Effete Scottish rockers finally reissue rare first
album.

Most Belle and Sebastian cultists would pick 1997's If
You're Feeling Sinister as the enigmatic, literary
Scottish swish rockers' finiest moment.  Others insist
the band has gotten even better since, as evidenced by
the cheery fluff and girlie vocals of 1998's The Boy
With The Arab Strap.  Both factions could probably use
a chocolate malted and a kind word now and then, but
the odds are better that this reissue of the band's
wicked-rare 1995 debut, Tigermilk, will be the only
nice thing to happen to any Belle and Sebastian fann
all summer.  tigermilk offers a rough sketch of the
band's virtues: acoustic guitars, zippy melodies,
strings, horns and the sullen schoolboy with of Stuart
Murdoch, who torments his nanny with a breathy voice
that evokes Al Stewart of "Year of the Cat" fame after
a proper clawing from Morrissey.  Tigermilk will never
be anyone's favorite, but it's prime Belle and
Sebastian -- the beautiful music of shut-in roues
stung by the pangs of youth and taking it out on us.

huh?  tigermilk no one's fave?  chocolate malteds?
tormenting nannys?  and who the hell is al stewart?
and what do "effete" and "roues" (with an accent over
the "e") mean????   ummm... "swish rockers"???  who
the fuck writes these things?  clearly someone from
massachussetts, as evidenced by use of "wicked-rare".

weird.  what a weird night.  anyway, i have not seen
the acid house b/c i'm too poor to scrape up trainfare
into the city (nyc).  and on thursday morning i'll be
all packed up and on my way back to school in western
pennsylvania.  (i'm coming kimmy!  soon!)  thank
goodness for sinister; how else would i have passed 8
hour work days and friday nights???

i wish i could have milked tigers with all you kids.
my kitty has tiger-ish markings.  i'm looking at him
funny now.  he's looking at me warily.  he just left.

i'm going to go watch 120 minutes and hope for matt
pinfield to be back.  he's always annoyed the flying
fuck out of me, but since he's not been on the past 2
episodes, i kind of missed him.

'night all.
xoxo,
marie