Sinister: I just thought I'd let you know.....

Alexander Runchman alexrunchman at xxx.com
Mon Aug 16 08:35:56 BST 1999

.....Hello,
      I'm generally not very good when it comes to introductions, I have
frequently given the impression that I'm some twisted voyeuristic pervert
(which is only partly true) or found myself not introducing myself at all so
that nobody does think that I am some twisted voyeuristic pervert. But I
think I can overcome my shyness here, and you can all come to your own
conclusions.

     I'm not going to go off on a long ramble about how and why and when and
where I first got into B&S, beautiful though it may be, because it probably
happened in the same way for most people round here. But it was 1997, just
after the end of a clumsy relationship, and I decided that they were a
million times preferable to the girl I fell out with (I'm trying to write a
poem about her at the moment. If it works I might share it).

     On the topic of poetry, I really appreciated David Moore sending the
Windhover by Manley Hopkins, although I have had a prejudice against him
since I was put in detention at school for not learning one of his poems.
I've been reading Thomas Hardy a lot lately - here is a short one:

     They are great trees, no doubt, by now,
     That were so thin in bough -
      That row of limes -
      When we housed there; I'm loth to reckon when;
      The world has turned so many times,
      So many times, since then!

I like poems about trees.

      One thing I was wondering that no-one seems to have talked about yet
is whether Stuart Murdoch is religious or ardently anti-religious. I haven't
quite figured it out from If You're Feeling Sinister and The State I'm In.

     I'm glad Laura survived the tornado. I survived an earthquake in Cyprus
the other day, but it wasn't a big one.

    I might not be about for a while, as I'm returning to England where I
have no computer to get my A-Level results. Anyone else fretting this much?
          See you
                                                         Alex