Sinister: Notre Damage

Tim Hopkins hopkinstim at xxx.com
Mon Aug 16 18:20:33 BST 1999

Hello chaps,

I write to you at the wrong end of a glorious weekend in Paris, where I
felt many bakers' pain. Au Chocolat.

While other people were out being Sartre in the cafes or Freddie
Mercury in the shoeshops, I was looking at paintings and churches.
After that I did The Drinking. I bought the most expensive gin and
tonic I've ever seen, and it started messing with my head. I don't know
what they put in their gin in Paris but it made me crazy. Unfortunately
I seemed to miss out on the SexyCool part of the CrazySexyCool package.
I was more CrazyGibberingArsehole.

That's what happened to me this weekend. And The Lucksmiths were
especially wonderful. I like the Lucksmiths very much. I like them not
having some embarrassing drummer who only ever gets off his drumstool
to apply the Preparation H to his arse grapes of wrath. Some of my best
friends are drummers.

Johnny Marr and Oasis deserve each other, the wankers.

If you go to Glasgow, don't go near that Alasdair Cooke bloke, because
he'll have skinned you alive within seconds of meeting you. If you must
talk to him, make sure you're not wearing a wristwatch and that your
money is safely under lock and key. Last time I was in Glasgow I was
accosted and followed by a wild-eyed, flame-haired loon whose
devilishly handsome visage was betrayed by the insanity which lurked
obviously in his eyes. He kept shouting "Gall! Gainsbourg!" at me and
dribbling slightly. He wouldn't shut up until I felt his 'pain'. It was
OK. Seemed to call himself McStaggered or something like that.

He didn't glass me but he was waving the pointy end of a very dangerous
looking Pastels badge at me.

Ages ago, Oon mentioned her favorite coffee table reading:

> 1989 'how to shit in the woods': an environmentally   > sound
approach to a lost art

Yes and better still was its 1992 sequel, which concerned arborial
constipation: 'I Can't Bear It'.

Har.

That's enough, baby that's enough.

Tim

Oh yes and PS Marcus The Band of Holy Joy had their moments and those
moments were awe-inspiringly brilliant. Which song? Did you get to keep
the cub uniform?