Sinister: religion, chris leonard, actual b&s content, salinger, feces

Jygsaw18 at xxx.com Jygsaw18 at xxx.com
Mon Aug 16 18:32:33 BST 1999

In a message dated 8/16/99 3:38:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
alexrunchman at hotmail.com writes:

<<   One thing I was wondering that no-one seems to have talked about yet
 is whether Stuart Murdoch is religious or ardently anti-religious. I haven't
 quite figured it out from If You're Feeling Sinister and The State I'm In.

I'm going to respond to this very cautiously, for fear that this might spark
a religious debate. I hope not. I've seen mailing lists self-destruct over
religous "discussions" that end in hurt feelings.

So. Let me say with caution, that I think Stuart can't be too anti-religious
if he's the caretaker for a church, eh? not too many people employed by
churches hate their employers.. after all, he could just live somewhere else,
now that he's a rock star. I think there's a certain dissatisfaction with
forms of organized religion evident in the music of Belle and Sebastian.
However, i think that many people are dissatisfied with the churches of
today. Many others love them, though, and I wouldn't presume to judge either
category.

let me just recommend the sleeka sounds website to all you who have the
decency to care about my posts. Very good stuff; I just got a tape from Massa
Leonard in the mail the other day and positively loved it. fantastic stuff.
it's made the drive to work much nicer...

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~calnd/sleeka/

PS i agree that prodding at the stars for the rationale behind their works
may be the reason that Belle and Sebastian are so media shy. This makes
everything that you can't easily come by that much more fascinating. no-one
cares about live Steps shows; everything is just like the CD. Not so Belle
and Sebastian.  They throw in alternate versions, unreleased tunes, etc. So
when rumor of a bootleg surfaces, we all flail around trying to find it. Same
with mister salinger's stories. They could be like POPkins' tale of celebrity
feces, but because he never puts out much in the way of material, we'd scoff
up the fetid little droppings.

Not that the Legendary Hopkins stories are shite. They were just about it. no
offense.

lots of love to all

  dave (moonman)