Sinister: A Belle and Sebastian Tale

Robert Foster untitled at xxx.com
Mon Aug 16 19:32:53 BST 1999

I went to town today.  I was going to go in the morning but it was raining,
so I had to wait until it eased off.  The rain began to go away by three in
the afternoon but because it was drizzling I thought I'd better phone for a
taxi.  We have an account with one of the local taxi firms.  This made me
happy because I wouldn't have to pay the driver, instead he'd 'put it on
account'.  My dad would have to pay.  I'm not supposed to order taxi's on
account without asking.  I haven't told him yet, I'll wait 'till after tea.

I asked to be dropped off just outside of the bank.  I had some business to
attend to.  Well, that's exaggerating  a bit, I had to put some money into
my account to pay for my college course that starts in September.

After I had finished paying in my money I decided to go to the new music
shop that had opened in the high street.  It was up the top and I and the
bank were down the bottom.  I didn't mind walking because I had a full
forty five minutes to wait until my bus.

So I walked out of the bank and felt like a king.  Automatic doors always
give me a false feelings of grander.  I feel like I am someone important.
Sometimes I make believe that I'm in a film and I'll be someone important.
A General in some space film or a baddie who swaggers around saying class
things right on cue.  All the boy's hate me and all the girl's swoon, but
they'll pretend to be afraid.

The record shop was on the other side of the road so I had to cross.  Just
as I got to the other side I saw my friend Laura.  She was with her college
friends and I think her boyfriend was there too.  I didn't talk to her
because she looked busy.  She was talking to all of her five friends at
once and they were walking around her like satellites around a planet.  I
just slowed down and let them pass.  I don't think she even noticed me.
That made me sad.  Laura and me used to be good friends.  She'd come round
my house and sit on my bed and we'd listen to music and she'd talk about
her lovers and I'd talk about the book I was reading.  She told me all
about life and stuff.  I think she was a rebel.

It took a while to get to the record shop because my leg was hurting, I
think I must have pulled a muscle the day before.  But I didn't mind,
collecting records was my hobby.  At home I'd sit in front of my radio with
a pencil and paper and jot down band names and song names of songs I liked.
 John Peel is the best for that.  He always gives out all sorts of
information.  Sometimes he'll even say the name of the record company that
the band were on.  Once he described the front cover of a 7" just so that
you could find it quicker in the shops.  I like John Peel for that.

Inside the Record Shop had a funny smell.  New cars have their own smell so
I suppose new shops have their own smell too.  I had heard roomers that it
was an indie shop and indeed it was.  There were many CD's that I wanted
but I only had thirty pounds.  So I looked around for my favourite bands.
Sadly I forgot my piece of paper with all the band names and record company
names on it.  I'd left it in my bedroom next to the radio.  No skipping
home to get it, my leg was hurting and it was getting late in the
afternoon.  Whilst thinking about how tragic this was I forgot my self and
ended up in a strange part of the shop. I didn't remember how I got there
and saw no singes directing me to 'pay here' or the 'exit'.  I was lost.

I couldn't stay there, I was getting hungry and with no obvious escape it
looked as if my dinner would be some Strawberry Bubblegum that I kept in my
coat pocket for emergency's, and this was surely an emergency.  As my
fingers found the pocket something caught my eye.  I tried to find it but
my eyes just saw hundreds of records that looked the same.  They all had
similar covers and designs, it was hard to distinguish one band from
another.

My attention returned to my rations in my pocket.  I took out the packet
and un wrapped one end.  I took out one of the sweets and popped it in my
mouth.  As soon as I did something again caught my eye.  This time I was
ready.  I saw where the distraction was coming from.  It was from one of
the CD's in the stack.  I walked over and it started moving around on the
shelve.  It was dancing around so much that it knocked a couple of CD's off
of the shelf and onto the floor.  I took a step back thinking it was a
giant rat that was looking for something to eat.  Fearing that it might
fight me for my bubblegum I took another step back.  I was unwilling to
have a fight, my leg was still hurting and I needed that bubblegum to see
me through 'till I found my way out.

The CD was still moving, I braced myself for the little rascal to poke it's
head out and lunge at me and my bubblegum.  The CD was really moving, and
making quite a noise.  I was sure that even in this isolated part of the
shop the manager must have head it.  Then, all of a sudden the CD shot out
of the stack and landed at my feet.  I bent down and picked it up.  On the
front there was a photograph of a young woman breast feeding her baby.  She
had dressed her cub as a tiger.  I read the words "Belle and Sebastian" and
underneath "Tigermilk".

I looked up and noticed on the ceiling a sign in the shape of an arrow.
Written on the sign were the words 'pay here'.  I followed it's advice and
walked out of the shop.

I only had a few minuets to go before my bus.  There was nothing for it,
I'd have to run, and run I did.  I flew past Burger King thinking nothing
of the people sweeping up the floor, I flew past the musical instrument
shop forgetting to worship the guitars through the window, I flew past the
old women's shop nearly knocking the one with the purple hair over, I ran
up the steps next to the church, turning left into Avondale Road, and there
I was.  Just in time.  The bus was making it's way over the hill towards
me.  Catching my breath I remembered my leg, I remembered how much it hurt
as I was in the taxi, how I cursed it under my breath in the cue for the
cashier in the bank, how I limped into the record shop.  And now, it did
not hurt at all.  I felt fine.  Inside my belly felt warm.