Sinister: two wee questions.

Ailsa Ross ar981611 at xxx.uk
Tue Aug 17 17:44:25 BST 1999

Hello

Thessaly1 at aol.com wrote:

> is easterhouse a mental institution, council
> estate or what?

It's a council estate, just on the outskirts of Glasgow, with a nice
metal horse statue on the way in off the motorway to make it look less
scarey.  Apparently it might be changing its name, as people associate
it with neds and stabbing and drugs and stuff.  Perhaps Struan was
trying to give it a nicer image.  Isn;t he sweet?

Alternatively, they are a bunch of indie chancers from the eighties.
But that's probably not what you meant.

> other question:  i *finally* saw "the acid house" because it is playing at an
> art theatre in la for a week and i was curious about whether it was a
> coincidence that there is a "johnny" mentioned in slow graffiti and the
> character from the short story shown in the movie; or if the song was written
> specificly for "a soft touch" from the acid house?

Didn't we have this discussion not that long ago?  Some say yes, some
say no.  I'm convinced the song's been around longer than the film,
although I s'pose there is the chance it was inspired by the book?
Perhaps new listee Mick Cooke might like to stop plugging his mates'
bands long enough to clarify for us?

Oh, and regarding stuff like that (Acid House, not Mick), can I be Honey
for a moment and suggest you look in the archives for these things?
No?  Oh well, I;m sure he may pop in and say it himself soon.  So ignore
me.

And I like poetry.  But can we just keep it to Mondays please?

Tim Hopkins said:
> If you go to Glasgow, don't go near that Alasdair Cooke bloke, because
> he'll have skinned you alive within seconds of meeting you. If you must
> talk to him, make sure you're not wearing a wristwatch and that your
> money is safely under lock and key.

Hmm, interesting...when my money got pinched down in London, Ally
offered to pay for my All Tomorrow's Parties ticket for me.  Perhaps
that's cos it's actually really my money he's paying for it with.  And I
thought he was just being nice, and generous, and trying to earn one of
my listcrush votes (which I don;t give to just *anyone* you know - the
sixteen or so people I voted for, you are all totally worthy of it...)

Arantxa, I know he wears nice clothes and plays football quite well and
is thought to be nice looking by at least three people I know of (and
probably more), but haven't you forgotten that not that long ago,
Alasdair declared his intention to marry some rubbish American
footballer (that's a soccer player, from America, not a big scarey man
with twenty-foot shoulder pads)?  I don't think that's worthy of a list
crush vote at all.

I'm not sure I like my photo on the picnic page, so cheers to DM,C,UK
for getting in the way :)

So is anyone actually *going* to V-Twin, cos I am.  Maybe.

Does anyone have anywhere I can live?  I'm going to be homeless quite
soon (middle of September) and I need a flat/room/cardboard box/tent.
Preferably a cheap one.  And preferably in Glasgow.

Ailsa xx