Sinister: Yes, ha ha, Johnny!

Robyn Fadden rfadden at xxx.com
Tue Aug 17 18:53:13 BST 1999

hello all,
I was listening to electronic renaissance the other
day (okay, yesterday) and even though I though it's
"funkadelic is the way to go, boy", I keep hearing:
"Ed McMahon is the way to go, boy." Oh, yes, har,
har... perhaps this has been said before on the list,
but it's funny.
Finally Belle and Sebastian on the CBC?! I don't
believe it. I will be listening to (and taping) the
show just to see if they say anything new, anything at
all (which would be surprising for a station seemingly
focused only on the wants of 50ish men (and their
spouses) and cottage country lifestyles. Ech.)
Yes, Jason D. of Toronto (near the above-mentioned
cottage country), a poetry thread would not be a good
thread for the list, esp as it might lead to *bad*
poetry and there is certainly enough of that on the
web already. But what we have seen here has been
poetry by other people, usually well known poets, not
listees (for the most part, I think.)
Anyway, point here is: why do people have such a hate
on for poetry? It doesn't even get a chance. yes, a
lot of amateur stuff sucks and there are plenty of
terrible poetry nights around, but c'mon the root of
poetry is language and what we do with words, how
these little black lines take on so much meaning. And
this is done every day on this list, right?
Perhaps the education system scares people away. Okay,
that's it. More to say, but will stop.
P.S. song lyrics are poetry, and every song quoted is
a fraction of a poem (if we get down to nit-picking) -
melody and rhythm, instruments, etc. complete the
setting of tone. Poetry. In defense of. I like it, but
yes, let's keep it very minimal on this list (this is
directed at me too.)
Waiting for my glitter badges,
Robyn

===
I was reading the dictionary. I thought it was a poem about everything. ~Steven Wright
~~~
Robyn Fadden    rfadden at yahoo.com    Vancouver, BC