Sinister: Post number 1

nickb nickb at xxx.uk
Wed Aug 18 09:41:37 BST 1999

It seems that I can now post stuff so here is my first post.  My name's
Nick.  I'm 23.  I'm a bloke.  I live in London.  In chat I call myself
spritser.  Why I chose that name I'm not sure, it just came to mind one day.
Generally I just lurk, this isn't because I'm the strong and silent type but
simply that I can't usually think of anything to say.

I got into Belle and Sebastian when I heard Century of Fakers on the radio
and shortly thereafter went out and bought the 3..6..9 seconds of light EP
which I thought was really great.  Things just went from there really.
Before that (like I think someone else here said) I'd seen the IYFS album
and been intruiged by the cover but had been put off when I looked at it in
the same way you can be put off old records by bands you've never heard of
in the record shop because they seem unknown.

I've done things in reverse a bit - as I've actually met a few people on
this list in real life before being on the list.  In other words, I went to
the picnic at the end of July in London and now realise who some of the
people I met are.  I probably wouldn't have spoken to very many people as
unfortunately I have a tendancy to be shy, but luckily I got chatting to a
very nice bloke called John who also didn't know very many people but had
actually left the list.  Also, Arantxa + fella, Sarah and Trousers (and a
few other people) said hello.  Thanks!  Playing footie was fun as well, I
apologize for the goals I let in.

I wanted to go to the Tigermilking thing at the Garage, but was tired from
work and fell asleep.

On the subject of love and things thereof.  Recently I met a girl and I
thought: this is the one.  She was really down to earth, direct, nice, liked
similar sorts of music.  She was going to go to Art College to do Textiles
in September but I tried not to think about that.  She was into Adam
Ant/Adam and the Ants and Blondie, she had an amazing Blondie poster in her
bedroom and also a poster of the Ultimate Warrior.  She said things like 'I
couldn't give a monkey's' and referred to things as 'bad boys'  ('Look at
those bad boys')  She had short black hair and was dead pretty.  The thing
was: she seemed to really like me as much as I liked her.  She even talked
about getting her friend who was good at metal work to make me a ring.

Then three months after the pub music quiz (she'd been on a rival team and
come a place higher than us), where we'd met, it all ended in Leicester
Square.  She'd seemed aloof all day so I asked what was wrong, then when I
got hardly any response I asked again.  Then I made the mistake of asking if
she still wanted to go out with me and the answer was, basically, no.  I'm
sure she was holding out to see a film as well.  Oh well.  It seems very
random - at least in my experience - and that was my longest relationship
(the other one lasted a month.)  The moral is: don't ask questions like 'do
you still want to go out with me?' because the answer might be 'no'

I try to be optomistic and think everyone has a soulmate out there though.
Really.

As for playing music at work, my colleagues must be pretty tolerant.  I
managed to play the whole of TBWTAS although this meant having to listen to
George Michael and Leanne Rhymes the rest of the night and a few of them
commented they couldn't believe that this band'd won a Brit and laughed at
the lyrics to 'It could've been a brilliant career'.  Colleagues just don't
get it.  I managed to play a whole Sonic Youth album and noone said a word,
however.  The power of Thurston Moore.

On the subject of books to read to the person who wanted ideas, I would read
Generation X (if I hadn't already) by Douglas Coupland.  It's a shame that
the phrase has so many connotations that might put people off reading this.
It's basically a book about three people in their late twenties who leave
their old lives behind for various reasons to live in a small desert town
(Palm Springs.)  To me it's a book about friendship and the attempt to find
something serene and meaningful in life, it's about trying to start over.
And despite all the hype, the endless media references, I think this is a
beautiful book - my favourite in fact.

Very puzzling, but also very wonderful I think, is The New York Trilogy by
Paul Auster.  City of Glass which is the first of its three stories will
probably play on my mind forever.  It's one of the strangest things I've
ever read.

'Knulp' by Herman Hesse is wonderful, if you can find it.

Sorry I've rambled on so much - in a first post as well.

Oh well, I should really get some sleep (even though it's 9:38 am)

spritser