Sinister: Pachel-Belle and Sebastian

Todd M Herrmann tmh at xxx.edu
Wed Aug 18 21:45:48 BST 1999

Excuse the cheesy subject line, it was sorta a spontaneous brainstorm that
probably came back when I was in high school and did those academic quiz
competitions where they would have answers to a category of question by
stringing two names together.  Like "The second President of the United
States and a comedic actor that used to be on Saturday Night Live" To
which you would answer John Adamsandler.  Anyway my point being, while
listening to Get Me Away from here, I'm dying and We rule the school I
noticed some remarkable similarities between these songs and the Pachelbel
Canon.  So to assuage my curiosity and considering I have just been let
out of the nursery recently (in fact this is my first post) I looked back
in the archive and found that although We Rule the School has been
discussed before to the point of naming it a variation on the Canon, I
didn't find that there has ever been any corellation on this list between
Get me away from here... and the Canon.  The melody of Stuart's voice in
that song sounds very close to the fast part in the Pachelbel Canon, the
one with all the sixteenth and 32nd notes if you've ever seen the violin
part to Canon.  Anybody else agree or am I just hearing things?

Anyway this being my first post and all just a little introduction--I'm a
19 year old student from Maryland and I go to University of Maryland.  I
was introduced to the lovely Belle and Sebastian just this past June by a
friend of mine who just happens to be a member of this list, Steve C.  The
first album I heard was TBWTAS and my fave song to this day is still the
first one I ever hear, It could have been a brilliant career.  The closest
I've come to seeing B & S live in any part or form is seeing Looper in DC
about month ago.  I also had the privilege of meeting several people on
the list at that show which persuaded me to join the list as they were a
very nice bunch of people.  A Little comment about that show although it
is a month later, hey I just got my voice:  I have to admit I just went to
that show to see the bassist from B & S but I really liked the distinct
sound of
Looper and how their images on the screen so perfectly meshed with their
sound and I have become hooked on Looper ever since then as well (a
sidenote to a sidenote-that DJ that played before Looper in DC was about
the worst act I have ever seen especially since he appeared to think he
was performing in a strip club and he felt a need to fondle some girl that
was in the front row that couldn't have been more than 16, by the way
she's on this list I say Bravo! you handled what must have been a really
uncomfortable situation with some how grace and dignity, if I was a girl
and some sweaty random guy clad only in his underwear pulled me up on
stage and started groping me I would have kneed him in the nuts.)

Well sorry if I started to ramble on their, I tend to do that even
discounting the whole first post thing.  Oh and another thing, can anybody
tell me why it seems to be a foregone conclusion on this list that IYFS is
B & S's best LP?  I mean I agree that it flows very well but to me TBWTAS
just has so much more variety and innovation musicly.  Just a sinister
newbie's curiosity.

Todd