Sinister: Richmal Compton Wrenched My Stonk-On

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Thu Aug 19 10:42:23 BST 1999

Of course I know Richmal Compton didn't do "Watership Down". It was
Roman Polanski. Richmal Compton is where it was filmed. All the
roadies were Wombles.

I bought "Todgermilk" on CD in my local hypermarket. What can I say
that hasn't been said already? Mine's on the Delabel label. Howie B is
Mad Dog's Delabel labelmate. His album was there too. It attracted me
because of the pretty colours. But I didn't buy it. Perhaps I should
have. At least I haven't heard it before. You're all very naughty,
because you all went on about how you can hear loads of things on the
"Tigermilk" CD that you couldn't hear on vinyl, so I'd got myself all
psyched up for the sound of some kind of woodland creatures orchestra
adding delicate filigrees of squirrel-like frothiness, not a bit of
poxy tambourine shaking. I must confess that I side with the
"Electronic Rennaisance is shit!" brigade. I've spent the last two or
three years thinking my tape was knackered, but it wasn't.

Trauma: Thanks to David "Please sir, I want some" Moore, I have now
seen Daltrey on "The Bill". I couldn't get the sound to work, so I had
to lip read. Nevertheless, Daltrey's magnificence shone through. He
seemed to be under a lot of stress, it brought home to me the problems
of many former rock stars living on Britain's council estates
surrounded by the pressures of drugs and sarcastic policemen, not to
mention coppers' narks. I'm not very good at lip reading, but I'm sure
Roger said "them lot" at one point, which suggests that his character
had been lured into the National Front against his will. Daltrey
killed himself at the end, which really shook me up, just like it did
the young policeman who witnessed it. I'm not sure, but I think the
police were partly to blame, as well as the lack of social services. A
bit sad really. No one knows what it's like to be the sad man, to be
the bad man, behind blue eyes. To cheer us all up, let's have a joke:

Q: What do you call it when your wife gets off with a member of the
70s WHO?
A: a-daltrey!

I watched the film "Crooklyn" on the telly last night. It's great, it
features all our favourite songs on the soundtrack, and gives some of
them a new lease of life, notably "Ooh Child", which I never really
liked much before, but now I do. If Spike Lee's 70s WHO tribute is
half as good as this, I can't wait.

I thought Genevieve had been brain drained to Detroit. I must have
missed something. Thanks to Kevan for processing my request. How do I
snap up the internet address www.sisterdisco.com? Never know when it
might come in handy.

Rock on,

Sister Disco