Sinister: op me or i'll murder you

Honey honey at xxx.net
Thu Aug 19 19:18:14 BST 1999

OK first off, I see we have a new listee in the nursery called Honey.
Welcome little Honey!  It's all very spooky and I bet it's one of you lot
sniggering behind the bikesheds, but this Honey's email address is
"honey at sinister.co.uk", which is NOT THE SAME as mine, although s/he's very
welcome.  Mine is "honey at majordomo.net", you can remember it because it's
the same domain as the list address.  Nursery Honey's is
"honey at sinister.co.uk".  Mine is "honey at majordomo.net".  Got that?  Good.

Starry Sarah, Unix Solaris servers are indeed very like cake.  Actually I
got a phone call from Starry's MOBILE this morning telling me her A level
results - the phone was literally jumping up and down.  Suffice to say
Starry is now The Sinister Swot and will do all your homework on request.

Electronic Renaissance indeed.

Ailsa, my joint favourite listee who's name begins with "A" and ends in "a"
along with Arantxa and the departed AYA, wrote this: "can I be Honey for a
moment and suggest you look in the archives for these things?  No?  Oh
well, I'm sure he may pop in and say it himself soon." Anyone can be Honey
as demonstrated above.  Yes Ailsa you can be Honey, and then I'll be Honey
again for a bit and say YES please do use the archives.  Actually lots of
you do :)  But the search engine is very stable now and "just works" - you
can search for anything over the .. blimey 2 years!..  this list's been
going.  You can even use the archives to look up when I've last suggested
people use the archives.  And pretty soon you'll be able to look up when I
last suggested looking up to see when I last suggested using the archives.
Anyway I owe Ailsa a few favours as I took ages to put her Bowlie photos on
the WWW site, so being Honey For A Day will be one of them.

That's right - 2 years in a week's time - you're all mad.  What will
we do on 27th August to celebrate please?

Oh and Jason's dead right about the newsgroup: Phil and Andy who set it up
have an admirable attitude towards how it and Sinister fit together and I
can't see the problem - people go where they most feel at home.  There have
been a couple of odd comments on there recently, but remember that every
community consists of lots of people.  Mind you Jason, I haven't seen
anyone slagging off the newsgroup here anyway, which is nice.  Don't
please, it'll work out best in the long run.  Ta :)

- IRC chat -

If you don't use and don't intend to join the chat channel "#sinister"
ever, swerve to avoid this bit now.  If you want to find out how to join
in, see the Sinister WWW page in the footer.  If you're bonkers, read on.

Our channel on Undernet has now become "official" and providing a load of
sinister goths don't complain the the Undernet gods that they are more
sinister than us, it's where we will stay.  You'll know it's official
because most times, except when she's in a sulk, there's a channel robot
called "W" there - you can call her Wendy.  Wendy's the maid and generally
cleans things up, a bit like the nice lady on the Ajax ad.  Tim Hopkins
keeps calling her "slut", but when the two of them are alone he whispers
sweet nothings to her and tickles her robotic robot bottom.  He gets very
lonely in there all day on his own.

In order to keep the channel sane, we need some "ops" - people with an "@"
sign in front of their names who learn how to look after things a little.
The "ideal candidate" will posses a brainless devotion to reading boring
over-complicated instructions from me without moaning, and will spend far
too long online.  The balance is between having enough to cover, and
not too many so it isn't intimidating, like bikers standing around at
the bar.  I reckon we need a dozen, so I'm mailing all the original
ops I can remember (mail me if you don't hear from me) and adding a couple
of people to cover for now.  Anyone who's a very regular chatter is invited
to suggest to me who else should be one.  Lulou tells me this is
Eurovision Song Contest style voting.  You're not allowed to vote for
yourself, or anyone you've exchanged bodily fluids with, and the criteria
for your chosen op(s) should be: (1) they're on IRC *much* too long for
their own good (I mean, like seriously on almost every day for ages, til
they don't know what day it is), and (2) they've told YOU they'd be happy
to take it on.

Please don't go suggesting people you haven't checked this with first, as
it does entail a bit of learning, and it's a bit dull.  And if you're
volunteering to someone, make sure you really want to do it and are
prepared to do a bit of reading.  You vote by coming to find me on IRC at
UK evening times, NOT by emailing me please - it proves your devotion to
the cause. :)  I'd beg people to be sensible about all this ops stuff,
because some people have shown a tendency to feel left out if they don't
get ops and put on a pouty face: being an op ISN'T A SIGN OF FLIPPIN
PRIVILEGE!  On the contrary it probably means you're on your way to
blindness, either because you stare at the screen far too long, or you
spend too long in *those* channels.  If anyone wants to do the job, they're
expected to learn the ropes, and they're expected to have been around on
#sinister for ages already and connect most days for unfeasibly long
periods of time.  Anyway I'll pick the top 5 voted for in the next week,
with the proviso that they're on IRC *all the time* and that there's a good
spread geographically.  School maam paragraph ends.

Has anyone taken chinese medicine?  Apparently it's all to do with my
spleen and my internal dampness.  Tastes like cold curry powder.
Yuck.

Honey xx